Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Festool Track Saw...Value?

Festool Track Saw...Value?

I have an opportunity to purchase a TS55-REQ-F-Plus-USA with 4 extra blades, 1 additional 55" track and the accessory kit. It was purchased and never used except for the initial test cuts he made. I've looked up the value of the various components, but am wondering what type of discount is customary for "used" with Festool brand. Can you give me any guidance?
    TIA

Hi Lisa,

The saw kit you're looking at is $690 new. In my experience, Festool products at that price point tend to command no less than $100 below new if they are in good shape. If this saw was really only used for a few test cuts, it should be in perfect shape and I would plan to pay at least $600 for it.

Blades are more difficult to sell. So you could offer 25% off of new for them if they are unused.

The TS 55 is a great saw and was a game changer in my shop. I would buy it again in a heartbeat.

Cheers,
    Mark

What something is worth is always a negotiation. I'd figure out what the max I'd be willing to pay and then start below that. Point out that new cars suffer significant depreciation as soon as they're driven off the lot.

You could go on eBay and look at what those used items sold for at auction (not at "buy it now"). A national auction is about the best indicator of what something is worth.

As Mark said, a track saw can be a useful tool. I have the TS-55 and, although I don't use it that much, when I need it it's a valuable tool.

Mike
    Last edited by Mike Henderson; 08-07-2019 at 11:45 AM.
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

One thing that would probably add to its value is whether the saw is still under its 3-year warranty since that warranty is on the saw regardless of owner. If the seller indicates the saw is still under warranty, how much of the warranty is left and can he demonstrate the purchase date?

Otherwise Festool tools sell for a very high percentage of the original cost if they are in like-new condition. It is a great saw. I have owned mine for at least 5 years and use it in conjunction with the Festool MFT table. Even if you only use it with the included rail, the dust collection and accuracy of the tool is great.

So, I guess, bottom line is that the final amount you pay depends on condition, whether the warranty is still in effect, and what condition the saw blades are in. New saw blades range in price from $55 - $95 depending on how many teeth they have. Good, like new, saw blades could be worth another $200 plus depending on actual condition. In the end, it depends on what you feel you should pay for a used saw regardless of condition. Sometimes it just makes sense to buy new if the cost isn't that much more. Then you have a new saw with the full 3-year warranty.

Thanks much. The seller is away for work, so I won't get to see it until next week. His wife accepted a deposit from me to hold it until he can show it. I'll let you folks know the outcome.

Honestly, if it were me and it’s only 15% less than brand spanking new, I would just cough up the extra few dollars and buy brand new and have a warranty and everything. You can also get 10% off a dust extractor when you buy a tool.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Day View Post
    Honestly, if it were me and it’s only 15% less than brand spanking new, I would just cough up the extra few dollars and buy brand new and have a warranty and everything. You can also get 10% off a dust extractor when you buy a tool.
    What he said. I'd be willing to pay 2/3 of new for excellent condition, but at a point, the savings get to be trivial. The option to change your mind and just return it, imo, has some value.

2/3rd's of the new price for all of the items is a good starting point to me. Festool is nice stuff, it really is, but now that Makita and DeWalt are in the same game, folks have options as far as track saws go.
    I have the Festool TS75, and other Festool tools. I am very familiar with their "system".
    "The first thing you need to know, will likely be the last thing you learn." (Unknown)

I fought a used TS75 along with extra track, Angle unit FS-KS and the MFT3 table for $800. It was worth the price and Festool is a quality tool.
    There are several brands of track saws to choose from now a days, a newbie is the Kreg track saw and table. I have demo this brand and works really well, the table system is excellant. You should give other brands a look too.

The thing is. everyone has their magic price. For some it's worth it if the tool is in mint condition and they pay anything less than new. For them, it's money saved out of their own pocket. For others, and I'm one of those, I rarely buy a used tool. I like the newness of a tool and, unless the price is substantially less than new, it just doesn't seem worth it. But that's me.

Festool owners almost always take great care of their tools and there seem to be a number of Festool owners who bought a tool and just never used it.

I beat the crap out of my festool stuff.

I said "almost always" . There are always exceptions. That's why buyers of used tools must always beware.

I purchased a used Festool TF55 saw, tracks & associated equipment earlier this year at an estate liquidation at an attractive price. I was not in the market for anything Festool or for a track saw. But... the price was a no -brainer. I find that I really do like the saw & system and use it much more than I thought I would & find that I now rely on the saw and system. I am happy to see Darcy's comment above that he "beats the crap out" of his Festool stuff as the saw "feels" a bit fragile to me when compared to my other saws & equipment that I am familiar with. Perhaps it is simply that I am not used to that much plastic on a tool. With that said & liking the saw, it something happened to it, I would be hard pressed to replace it at the retail cost. A properly priced good/very good condition used saw I would definitely buy.

The track saws do feel fragile; and the motor sound (at least on the original) isn’t particularly confidence-inspiring. But I recall reading early articles about the testing festool does during development - getting sand into the tools one test I recall.

Anyways, my festoon gear has mostly held up well. (The adhesive on the track splinter guards has come off if I don’t clamp it between uses; and the shop vac plastic has broken in a few places where the sustainers are meant to mount

Matt

I know this isn't responding to your question but for the 6.5" (165mm) bladed saw I would consider a cordless. I purchased a new Makita system with saw/dual charger/rail/4-batteries for $500. I think a similar deal is going on right now. I love cordless. I bought a Mafell dust bag for it and I have no chains.

I did buy a TS75 corded saw a little while back for the heftier cuts but use the Makita 95% of the time. Got a great deal on the TS75 with a 75" rail through Festool recon. The tools were never used and I paid just under $520!

Mike