Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: I just received a phone call from someone

I answer my phone if the call is from someone in my Contacts list. Voicemail is full on purpose.

New trick. You get a voice mail on your cell and your phone never rang. It is a way for them to say they never called you and avoid then govt over robo calls. My wife received them twice in the last ten days. Both were concerning her student loan which she does not have nor ever had.
    George

Making sawdust regularly, occasionally a project is completed.

Blog Entries
    It is a way for them to say they never called you and avoid then govt over robo calls.
    How does one go about getting the govt involved over robo calls?

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

If there is someone there I just tell them I’m visiting from the planet Aaron to observe life on earth and don’t have a number yet.
    ​You can do a lot with very little! You can do a little more with a lot!

Last night, all through the night, my phone rang 8 times. Each of those times was followed immediately by another call after I let the first set of rings finish. I looked at it the first couple of times, but didn't after that. It was a poor night's sleep. This morning my phone said I had 16 missed calls from No Caller ID.

Today, I figured out how to put a block on No Caller ID. I had to enter No as the first name, and Caller ID as the second name in my contacts list, and then block it from there. I had been getting a lot of those lately, that I never answered anyway, but didn't want to lose any more sleep. I received none of those calls today.

That didn't work. Last night, the calls started again from No Caller ID at 1:40 A.M. I turned the phone off because I'm not much good the next day without a good night's sleep. I hate to leave my phone off, because my Mother is 103, and lives by herself, but I have to get sleep. I might need to come up with some type of communication device besides a phone. She does wear one of those emergency buttons. Any ideas much appreciated.

Quote Originally Posted by Rob Luter View Post
    ...My only exception is when "Jimmy from Microsoft Tech Support" calls to warn me about problems with my computer. I'll usually work him for a while prior to telling him I don't have a computer that uses a Microsoft operating system.
    Another way to take up a caller's time is to ask them to hold on a minute. (In the days before robo calls)

My phone listing for 20 years was in my dog's name. When someone called asking for Mr Maxwell I knew they just got the number from a listing somewhere and wanted to sell me something. The kids would come running to listen to what I was going to tell them this time. But I preferred to pretend to be interested then just ask them to hold on and I'd be right back. Somehow when I checked back in 1/2 hour or so we had been disconnected. ???

JKJ

I tried just putting the phone down with the connection still open, and No Caller ID would disconnect, and then immediately call back.

I usually ask them if we are on a recorded line. When they say yes, I say ‘great, this is my formal request to have my number removed from your telemarketing list’, then hang up.

Google found how to do it:

• Launch the Phone app.
    • Tap Contacts.
    • tap the + button.
    • As phone number, enter 000-000-0000.
    • Tap Done.
    • Now scroll down and tap Block this caller. A popup will appear saying “you will not receive phone calls, messages or FaceTime from people on the block list” then tap Block Contact.

will see if this works