Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I just received a phone call from someone

Blog Entries

I just received a phone call from someone

claiming to be the Social Security Administration.
    They wanted to verify my social security number. I told them I do not give out my number
    to someone calling me and they hung up. I guess it is a scam.

I do not reveal any identifying numbers to any one. Duhh!

Such a scary thought. I take care of my elderly mother in-law. Had to take away all her credit cards and convinced here not to answer the phone. If it isn’t someone she knows. Can’t tell how many times I went running when I heard he say “let me get my card”
    Some Blue Tools
    Some Yellow Tools
    A Grizzly Collection
    ShapeokoXL
    Blue and White 50 Watt

I guess I live a charmed life, I never get calls like this. I also let everything go to voice mail if I don't recognize the number.
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

Monday, I received 9 calls just like that, one right after another. I let all of them go to voice mail. They had the same area code but different phone numbers. Definitely a scam..

Got 2 of these yesterday on my Google Voice account. I have it set to "do not disturb " so it takes the voice mail but sends me a transcribed version of it. I got this twice, from different local phone numbers.

Just suspend your social security number because we found some suspicious activity. So if you want to know about this case, just press one. Thank you. This call is from the Department of Social Security Administration. The reason you have received this phone call from our department is to inform you that we just suspend your social security number because we found some suspicious activity. So if you want to know about this case, just press one. Thank you.
    Sometimes we see what we expect to see, and not what we are looking at! Scott

I’ve received similar versions from Social Security and the IRS. In both cases it’s a computer voice telling me there is a criminal action in process and the only way to save myself is to call them back with my personal information. I suspect if there really is a criminal action, they already have my personal information.
    Sharp solves all manner of problems.

Blog Entries
    I will find my police whistle and let them have a blast if they call again.

The SSA, IRS and even banks do NOT ever, ever call customers like that. 100% any call is a scam. A card provider might call if there is perceived fraud, but they will not ask for identifying information; only if you made a particular purchase so they can shut it down or let it pass.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Rob Luter View Post
    I’ve received similar versions from Social Security and the IRS. In both cases it’s a computer voice telling me there is a criminal action in process and the only way to save myself is to call them back with my personal information. I suspect if there really is a criminal action, they already have my personal information.
    They would also be likely to show up at your door if you were perceived as the criminal.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Quote Originally Posted by lowell holmes View Post
    I will find my police whistle and let them have a blast if they call again.
    I find one of those canned air horns for boating works well....

Quote Originally Posted by Barry McFadden View Post
    I find one of those canned air horns for boating works well....
    I just hang up. Always effective. My only exception is when "Jimmy from Microsoft Tech Support" calls to warn me about problems with my computer. I'll usually work him for a while prior to telling him I don't have a computer that uses a Microsoft operating system.
    Sharp solves all manner of problems.

Remember when you used to get half a dozen calls a week about changing long distance? Boy those were the days. So much easier and fun. I used to alternate between telling them I didn't have a phone (while talking to them on it) or accusing them (if male) of having an affair with my wife. When they heard that accusation, they would hang up quick.

On the opposite note, I received a notice from the IRS of a Taxpayer Compliance Audit in May of 2018. Have not heard from them since. The IRS is so messed up if they did want to call you, they could never find your number.
    I am in love with Montana. For other states I have admiration, respect, recognition, even some affection, but with Montana it is love.... It seems to me that Montana is a great splash of grandeur....the mountains are the kind I would create if mountains were ever put on my agenda. Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans. Montana has a spell on me. It is grandeur and warmth. Of all the states it is my favorite and my love.

John Steinbeck

Blog Entries
    I stumbled on to an easy method to identify scammers. They tend to 'spoof' the phone number so that Caller ID shows it as a call from your area code. When I moved to Virginia from Kansas, I never got around to getting a local 703 number. I kept my 913 number from Kansas. Now, if an unknown 913 number comes up I can immediately identify it as spoofed.

So, the moral of this is to go out and get yourself a number in some area code where you know no one.

My wife called me one day a couple weeks ago concerned about a call she received that said her SS number had been suspeneded until she calls them back. I told her great, I guess that means you know longer have to pay SS taxes out of your check.

In addition to scam phone calls from callers claiming to be the IRS, SSA, or others, there are still phishing emails being sent out, where the firm that they are claiming to be from has a way to report phishing emails, I report them, like Fedex, eBay, but some like Google, Emirates Airlines, do not. I have never done any business with Emirates Airlines, BTW.

Just another note, I have had my cell # spoofed, even got a call from myself.