Thread: Aqua Coat Lacquer question

Aqua Coat Lacquer question

Box2.jpg

Box.jpg

I have just been trying to spray Aqua Coat on a cremation urn. I am getting small craters randomly in the finish. I first thought it was just dust but they are appearing as I'm spraying. I filtered before putting in the sprayer thru a 120 filter. Something peculiar to water base finish? I'm new to the spraying gig so it could be setup/technique issues also. I wanted to post some pics but phone and computer are not cooperating will try later. Using a HF detail gun with about 30 lb pressure.

Phil
    Last edited by Philip Hine; 08-07-2019 at 1:33 PM.

Put some of your Aqua Coat onto a clean piece of glass with a foam brush. If you see craters then something is wrong with the Aqua Coat. If you don't then try spraying some on another piece of glass. If you see craters now then try spraying a heavier coat on yet another piece of glass. If the craters go away then you need to spray heavier coats on your workpiece. If they don't then something is wrong with your spray gun; most likely contamination from oil. If you still don't see craters then there must be something on your workpiece, perhaps the wood itself or contamination from your prep. process.

John

Thanks, Good suggestions. I didn't consider that the material might be bad. I'll give the gllass atry.

Phil

Update:

John : I took your suggestions and ended up trying a different spray gun with a 1.0 tip. A little playing with the adjustments and the dimples went away. Still have a lot to learn about spraying.

Phil

Glad it worked out for you Phil.

John