Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Festool Track Saw...Value?

Quote Originally Posted by Rob Charles View Post
    I purchased a used Festool TF55 saw, tracks & associated equipment earlier this year at an estate liquidation at an attractive price. I was not in the market for anything Festool or for a track saw. But... the price was a no -brainer. I find that I really do like the saw & system and use it much more than I thought I would & find that I now rely on the saw and system. I am happy to see Darcy's comment above that he "beats the crap out" of his Festool stuff as the saw "feels" a bit fragile to me when compared to my other saws & equipment that I am familiar with. Perhaps it is simply that I am not used to that much plastic on a tool. With that said & liking the saw, it something happened to it, I would be hard pressed to replace it at the retail cost. A properly priced good/very good condition used saw I would definitely buy.
    I won't say that I "beat the crap" out of my Festool tools, but then I do try not to beat on any tools.
    I have been using my TS 75 to repair my roof and front porch this past few weeks. Lot's of "rough" cutting up on the roof and on sawhorses in the front yard.
    A tip; If you turn it upside down to cut through true 2x10's, the dust collection doesn't work very well. Wear a mask and face shield.
    "The first thing you need to know, will likely be the last thing you learn." (Unknown)

Quote Originally Posted by Randy Heinemann View Post
    I said "almost always" . There are always exceptions. That's why buyers of used tools must always beware.
    They are tools. They use to get drug all over from job to job, left out in the weather, drug on a roof, cut drywall with my TS 55. My oldest one is probably pushing 13 years now at least. Only had one actually fail and it was back to me in a few days.

Quote Originally Posted by Matthew Hills View Post
    The track saws do feel fragile; and the motor sound (at least on the original) isn’t particularly confidence-inspiring. But I recall reading early articles about the testing festool does during development - getting sand into the tools one test I recall.

Anyways, my festoon gear has mostly held up well. (The adhesive on the track splinter guards has come off if I don’t clamp it between uses; and the shop vac plastic has broken in a few places where the sustainers are meant to mount

Matt
    They blasted the tools in a chamber with Arizona sand.
    The noise is because their saws are gear driven and the electronics constantly pulse a signal to maintain constant blade speed no matter how slow or hard you go.

My only real failures have ben a ras115 I abused the snot out of and a couple 12 year old batteries

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Cutler View Post
    I won't say that I "beat the crap" out of my Festool tools, but then I do try not to beat on any tools.
    I have been using my TS 75 to repair my roof and front porch this past few weeks. Lot's of "rough" cutting up on the roof and on sawhorses in the front yard.
    A tip; If you turn it upside down to cut through true 2x10's, the dust collection doesn't work very well. Wear a mask and face shield.

Understood, I just put my TS55 & trak away after finishing up a subfloor R&R. Previously, I would have done it with my circular saw. But, since I had it, I used the Festool saw & system. Nicest darm sub-floor I ever installed largely, due to the straight cuts. While it was easy to use, I still am not used to its' sound. At one point, it got knocked to the floor, bounced & was fine. That gave me more confidence in its' durability. I am glad it was not the roof test. I believe your comment on the overhead cuts as it throws out some fine wood dust.

Rob
    The sound of it coming up to speed is a bit unnerving at first, but you should hear an OF2200 wind up. If it was any other router, you would turn it off.
    My house is barn board and batten exterior, and was built in 1919, then redone in 1978, and everything is in true rough cut sizes. I can't go to Home Depot and buy material, it won't fit. To do repairs I have to have the wood milled. Even then I still have to rip everything to size, as a 2x10 in 1919 may have measured any where from 9-1/2" to 10-1/2", or whatever the saw was set for that day. Same with the 2x4's, 2x6's and 2x8's.
    It was nice being able to rip all of that 2x material right where it was going to be installed. Still tedious, but the TS75 and track made it easier.
    As I stated earlier, I don't try to beat on tools, but I do expect them to work and not have to be handled with kid gloves.
    "The first thing you need to know, will likely be the last thing you learn." (Unknown)

As promised -- an update. I bought it all and some more. The man was selling stuff from his father's home and just wanted stuff gone. As advertised, the track saw and related accessories were pristine. Additionally, he threw in several Woodpecker items (16x26" square, Saddle T square, mini-square, saw gauge). I didn't even dream of negotiating and just handed over my $475.00! He tried to interest me in several pieces of stationary equipment, but I declined.

Nicely done Lisa. I’ve never had Woodpeckers items “thrown in” on a deal before!

A willing seller finds a willing buyer and they both end up happy. What a wonderful outcome.

Somewhere else some cheapskate seller is trying to screw over some cheapskate buyer so that the good sellers and good buyers don't have to deal with them.

Quote Originally Posted by Lisa Starr View Post
    As promised -- an update. I bought it all and some more. The man was selling stuff from his father's home and just wanted stuff gone. As advertised, the track saw and related accessories were pristine. Additionally, he threw in several Woodpecker items (16x26" square, Saddle T square, mini-square, saw gauge). I didn't even dream of negotiating and just handed over my $475.00! He tried to interest me in several pieces of stationary equipment, but I declined.
    Well Done!!!!

I'm not sure if you got Woodpeckers tools thrown in with the saw, or the saw thrown in with the Woodpeckers tools. Either way, Sweet deal!!

As the owner of both - a Festool TS55EQ and a few Woodpeckers items (router table plate & inserts & a Paolini ruler) I congratulate you on your acquisitions! All should provide you hours of pleasure using.
    My granddad always said, :As one door closes, another opens".
    Wonderful man, terrible cabinet maker...