Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: MDF? are there different grades?

If you want to get technical, there is only one grade of MDF. There might be different manufactures that use a different glue that works better.

I’m guessing that you might be confusing the different grades of fiberboard.

LDF light density fiberboard
    MDF is medium fiberboard
    HDF is high density fiberboard

Quote Originally Posted by Thomas C Barron View Post
    If you want to get technical, there is only one grade of MDF. There might be different manufactures that use a different glue that works better.

I’m guessing that you might be confusing the different grades of fiberboard.

LDF light density fiberboard
    MDF is medium fiberboard
    HDF is high density fiberboard
    That would refer to densities, rather than grading. Differing grades of MDF boards are based on how refined the particles are, what type of glue, formaldehyde present, moisture content, performance characteristics etc. E.g.: Plum Creek Super Refined (interior only) is great stuff but not in the same league as Mediate Tricoya (waterproof exterior).

MDF mills extremely well and paints well so it is a good material for drawer fronts & door panels. But here's the "but"...... 3/4 MDF for a raised panels can add a lot of weight to a larger door, so you need to consider that in the construction and hardware.

Drawers are traditionally made with a secondary wood, and for good reason. The more expensive primary wood is for the "show". Its your decision, but its a philosophical thing with me, so thought I'd mention it.