Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Light/Lamp

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Fritz View Post
    I love the light from Ken however sometimes the magnet slips when I move the light. I have to steady the magnet and then move the light. Anyone else have this issue? I should add the magnet is attached to a Robust lathe which is powder coated. Would that make a difference?
    Dave, I don’t have Ken’s light but I have noticed the same thing about the magnet slipping. I had a Laguna and magnet attached firmly. I was going to make an arm for the light, but had a problem with my Hope System hollowing rig and Simon graciously sent me a whole new arm, so used the old one for my lamp. Much better than mounting to the lathe. I just fit. I need to epoxy a piece of threaded rod into the hole on the Robust boss for added security.

fullsizeoutput_a54.jpg
    When working I had more money than time. In retirement I have more time than money. Love the time, miss the money.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Fritz View Post
    I love the light from Ken however sometimes the magnet slips when I move the light. I have to steady the magnet and then move the light. Anyone else have this issue? I should add the magnet is attached to a Robust lathe which is powder coated. Would that make a difference?
    Do you have an early version of the Super Nova lamp? The first one I got had a smaller magnet. I've had no slippage from the later, much more powerful magnets regardless if stuck to paint or powder coating.

One thing I did on two lathes is remove the lamp from bulky magnet and fasten it to a hole I drilled and tapped into the lathe. On my PM3520b I fastened it to the bracket behind the lathe intended to hold a copy piece.

lamp_mount_IMG_20171228_214144_854.jpg

This is quite secure. I use several lamps at the lathe so I have no need to move this one.

JKJ

John, I think it has more to do with the finish than the magnet. I did notice a difference when I got the Robust vs Laguna as far as magnet holding.
    When working I had more money than time. In retirement I have more time than money. Love the time, miss the money.

My magnet slips also so I use a clamp to keep it in place.

here is a very inexpensive light that I use on my lathe cost is lest then $25.00 all you need are these two items the lamp comes with a cast steel base that you discard and mount it to the magnet from home depot works great and is small enough to fit inside a vase and is bright
    https://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/00385941/
    https://www.homedepot.com/p/MASTER-M...6354/203613136

The best light I have is a Moffit.(sp) It uses regular light bulbs, I use LED in mine. It comes with different mounting options. I have several lights but the Moffit is the best by a long shot. Don't remember where I got it but remember it was a little expensive.
    Fred