I had a call from man that had seen some of my turnings in a shop asking if I could/would turn a doll peg leg. He drove 25 miles and brought the "leg" on right and needed 6 more for some class. So, I found a piece of blockage 2x4 (1.5 x 3.5 rough), ripped it to 1.6x1.6 and cut to 7" lengths on table saw. I also cut a short section and put square into chuck and turned to 1.5" OD w/ 3/4"x1" tenon. I took the sections, marked centers each end, and went to drill press and drilled 3/4" x1"Deep hole one end like original. The sections were jammed on the turned block and first turned round slightly larger than the OD at lathe end tapered down to other end with spindle roughing gouge, location of groove and length marked using a cardboard template from original, and then finished with skew to avoid sanding. It was a good exercise. I ended up with 9 making extra for the ones that might go wrong, but the catch was minimal, and all should work. The use of the turned block for OD worked very well and big time saver. Good learning experience, and a little cash never hurts either. Pays to be helpful when need arises.
Doll peg leg.jpg