Thread: Stanley level questions

Stanley level questions

I have an old wooden Stanley level that my Dad passed on to me, probably 25 years ago. It's been gathering dust in my shop, but I picked it up the other day and thought I'd like to clean it up and put it out where it can be seen. It looks like it's seen its share of use, but is in generally good shape. All three vials are intact, and two of them are accurate to within a half-degree, according to my Wixey.

The level is 30" long, 3" wide, and 1-1/4" thick. It has brass end caps (removed in the photos). The brass rings around the two side vials read "STANLEY PATENTED MAR 25 90 ADJUSTABLE." The brass frame around the primary vial (photo 3) reads "STANLEY RULE & LEVEL CO. NEW BRITAIN, CONN USA PAT 6-2-91.2-4-96.6-73-95" (some of the numbers are a little hard to make out, so I won't swear I've got them exactly right). On the other end of the brass frame is a little "cap" that reads "PAT FEB 1890 SCREW" - I assume the cap is protecting the adjustment screw for the primary vial.

Also, I can make out a faint "25" stamped into the wood near the primary vial - I assume this is a model number. The wood (along with some of the brass) has been sanded - so I don't know how (or if) it was originally finished. I've read that Stanley used, at various times, cherry, mahogany and rosewood in their levels. Mine looks like mahogany to me.

I've spent a few hours Googling to see what I could learn about this level, but haven't come up with much. So, a couple of questions for the group:
    1. Does anyone know of a good resource for information on Stanley levels? I was hoping to find something like a "type study" that would help me date it.
    2. Does anyone know how the wood might originally been finished? I was thinking maybe shellac or lacquer?

Thanks, in advance.
    Gary

Level1.jpg
    Level2.jpg
    Level3.jpg

Blog Entries
    John Walter's book, Antique & Collectible Stanley Tools Guide to Identity & Value, dates the #25 level's manufacturing run from 1859-1935.

Patent dates tend to be stamped into parts of a product for 15 years. From the patent information in your post it would date your level to approximately between 1895 and 1905.

Under construction Mr. Walter notes: Lacquered mahogany, brass trim, top plate.

As to type, only a type 1 and type 2 are listed. Your's is likely a type 2.

jtk
    Last edited by Jim Koepke; 08-09-2019 at 1:44 PM. Reason: added type info
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Jim,

Thanks so much for the quick reply and great info! If I'd had to guess, I wouldn't have pegged it as that old.

As I continue with my clean-up, I'll plan on a lacquer finish.

Best,
    Gary

Blog Entries
    If I'd had to guess, I wouldn't have pegged it as that old.
    The old rule of thumb on the patent dates is usually pretty good. Some manufactures made large orders of parts with patent dates on them just before the patents ran out so there were often old parts on hand with expired patent dates. This stock would run out in a year or two.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)