Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Denatured Alcohol

Denatured Alcohol

Has anyone ever used this product for preparing shellac? If so what are your conclusions for shellac preparation?
    "Duda Energy eth950 Denatured Ethanol"

The safety data sheet states :ConcentrationEthanol 64-17-4 >94%
    Natural Gasoline 68425-31-0 1-5%
    Benzene 71-43-2 0-0.25

The supplier websites states that among other uses it is for "As a solvent in shellac and shellac-based products."

Blog Entries
    I would be concerned about the gasoline & benzine content. Benzine is quiet bad for you & gasoline might make it stay stinky for a long time.

Kleen Strip Denatured Alcohol SDS lists these ingredients
    CAS # Hazardous Components (Chemical Name)3.
    COMPOSITION/INFORMATION ON INGREDIENTS
    Concentration RTECS # 64-17-5 Ethyl alcohol {Ethanol} 30.0 -50.0 % KQ6300000 67-56-1
    Methanol {Methyl alcohol; Carbinol; Woodalcohol}40.0 -60.0 % PC1400000
    The significant problems we encounter cannot be solved at the same level of thinking we were at when we created them.

The penalty for inaccuracy is more work

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Hale View Post
    Kleen Strip Denatured Alcohol SDS lists these ingredients
    Methanol poses significant neurological and other health hazards. I opt for the Klean Strip Green version. It still has some but far less.

QKGA75003_J8324_J8769_KS_Denatured_Alcohol_1qt_300_300_80.jpg

Capture.JPG
    Last edited by Brett Luna; 08-06-2019 at 6:17 PM. Reason: -a
    Brett
    Peters Creek, Alaska

Man is a tool-using animal. Nowhere do you find him without tools; without tools he is nothing, with tools he is all. — Thomas Carlyle (1795-1881)

Thanks all. I have decided to go with Klean Strip Green. The idea of gasoline in the mix doesn't sound too good. Maybe not important, but why use it if other proven products are available. I have been using Sunnyside denatured alcohol but lately they have reduced the ethanol % and increased the methanol %.

Klean Strip Green Safety Data Sheet provides:

Ethanol 80.0 -100.0 %
    Methanol 3.0 -7.0 %
    Acetic acid 1.0 -5.0 %
    Methyl isobutyl ketone 0.1 -1.0 % and
    Heptane 0.1 -1.0 %

Higher ethanol is better. So say the finishing books.

By the way - sorry about the enormous text in my original post. Darn all these new fangled contraptions like computers!

I've had problems with shellac not fully drying with denatured alcohol. Now, I use 190 proof everclear with my shellac, and it always dries instantly (I do dehumidify my workspace). Everclear is available over the internet, by the case. No worries about additives.

I don't have a problem with humidity where I live. Sierra Nevada mountains of California. For example right now (2:30 PM) the humidity is 35%. Typical. In the winter you generally need to put on some sort of lip balm before going to bed. Otherwise you will wake up in the morning with cracked lips from the low humidity. The greatest problem for me, as a woodworker, is trying to calculate how much to allow for wood expansion when making a piece that will live in a more humid environment. I have shipped to Hong Kong, Belgium, East Coast USA. So far so good. There are USA and foreign country regional temperature/humidity charts for variations by month available.

David, I am a bit confused, because I found an SDS on line for "Duda Energy eth950 Denatured Alcohol," and it listed the ingredients as: 90.5% ethanol, 4.5% isopropyl alcohol, and 5% np acetate. I am assuming np stands for "normal propyl."

If the SDS I found is the correct one, then the stuff should not be real bad. I don't know about the n-propyl acetate though, and did not take the time to look it up. It is too late though, and I am giving it up for the day.

Stew

Since the product by law must be poisonous (denatured) it's not surprising that there are different formulas. It is not
    a requirement that the stuff dissolves shellac flakes. Some brands just will not disolve flakes. I like Behkol because it
    works well for dissolving and much cheaper than the stuff made for drinking.

The benzene is very troublesome. The benzene plant 25 km south of me frequently has leaks in the breeze. The town next to it (Corunna) has the highest rate of cancer in all of Canada.
    ​You can do a lot with very little! You can do a little more with a lot!

Duda Energy is a one man shop providing supplies for the homebrew biodiesel community. The MSDS on their site has a different denaturants (http://www.dudadiesel.com/msds/ethanol.pdf) (I think someone else found this as well). My guess since they are a one man shop and their application is fuel, that their supply may vary.

As a chemist my guess is two properties are of interest here. Solubility of the shellac and vapor pressure of the solvent components.
    Vapor Pressure of the components at room temperature (or there abouts)
    Ethanol is about 45 Torr
    Isopropanol about 40 Torr
    Acetic Acid Propyl ester about 25 torr
    This tells me (unless they form an azeotrope (that data book is at the office)) they should evaporate at reasonably comparable rates.

Looking at the Behkol MSDS the only major component difference is isobutanol (vap press ~9 Torr).

Maybe this will be the push for me to finally build that isoteniscope and measure the vapor pressure of the mixture (I teach physical chemistry each Fall)

John

I noticed that the Duda Energy listed the chemical composition as Stew Denton stated. This is the company website. However I looked at the mandatory Safety Data Sheet at this web site "https://www.sinclairoil.com/sites/de...%20Ethanol.pdf" and it does show "Natural Gasoline content as in my original post. So which is true? I don't know. I would rather not risk my health, the environment, or my piece of furniture. So I am picking up a couple of quarts of Klean Strip Green at a nearby ACE Hardware store today.

Blog Entries
    Anymore I buy 95% pure, I don’t want anything in it other than ethanol and water from the atmosphere (as little as practical in a workshop). It’s easy to find on Amazon.
    Last edited by Brian Holcombe; 08-07-2019 at 1:41 PM. Reason: Corrected %
    Bumbling forward into the unknown.

I believe benzene is one of the components of gasoline anyway. I think it is singled out on the MSDS because it is a known human carcinogen, not as a separately added ingredient. I could be wrong, but its a fair guess.

@brian, what product do you find on Amazon that is 99% pure ethanol? Everyone I see is denatured at max 95%. Some are blends with isopropyl and/or methanol, and could say they were 99% alcohol, but not ethanol. I would think 99% ethanol would be drinkable and taxed as such.
    Last edited by Stan Calow; 08-07-2019 at 12:30 PM.

Corn squeezins?

Old farmers used to have a bucket under their corn cribs....used fill up with some high powered stuff....