Thread: Semi-Permanent Storage

Blog Entries

Semi-Permanent Storage

Hi,

Has anyone used structures like this:

https://www.shelterlogic.com/shop/sh...ustom-shelters

I need some storage around 10 ft x 20 ft x 8ft tall... Should I look into other vendors? Thoughts on quality? I find a lot of vendors doing BIG stuff, but I can't seem to find vendors doing the small stuff that I need.

Thanks and cheers,

Andrew

Costco has one like this, probably not as good though. Mine lasted about three years before needing a new cover.
    Rick Potter

DIY journeyman,
    FWW wannabe.
    AKA Village Idiot.

Blog Entries
    The link leads to a 404, but I'm assuming your talking about the round top ones.

They do not stand up well to high winds. Making sure that everything is pulled really tight & that it's well anchored will help a lot, but high winds will eventually reduce it to shreds.

Blog Entries
    It has different styles, but yeah, I was thinking a rounded top. These come with a 10 yr warranty on the heavy duty cover.

I bought one for my Son, while in university renting a house, to keep his motorcycles. He had it for several years, in the Knoxville TN area.

He had no issues, it kept the snow, rain, wind and Sun off or them. His came with screw in ground anchors.

Don’t know what you are planning on storing but I have 2 truck boxes that work well for me. They are Water tight, have roll up doors that lock and a good solid wood floor. The last one I bought from a salvage yard a couple years ago was 28 ft long 8 ft wide and extra high was $1500.

Blog Entries
    Actually planning on two steps:

1) Paint booth
    2) Storage of wood / metal and shelves of tools

I have a ShelterLogic 10x10 'shed in a box'- the basic covers are only good for 2-3 years in direct sun, but you can get 10 and 15 year covers. I believe the 15 year replacement for my shed is over $500, but in the long run would be worth it. The whole shed new was only $240. Mine is screwed down to our driveway and has put up with some pretty ferocious winds. Just keep the door closed...
    ========================================
    ELEVEN - rotary cutter tool machines
    FOUR - CO2 lasers
    THREE- make that FOUR now - fiber lasers
    ONE - vinyl cutter
    CASmate, Corel, Gravostyle

I had one for firewood storage I got for $350 on a Black Friday sale. It lasted 2 years before the cover ripped. Replacement was $200, and a bit of a bear to replace, and lasted a whole 3 months before a winter storm ripped it to shreds. I decided I wasn’t going to continue to replace covers annually at $200/ pop and would instead put my money in a steel carport for $1800.
    Side note- That was 4 years ago, and I still haven’t made the carport purchase. 😂

Blog Entries
    Yeah, I think it's either go big or go home with these things. I saw a commercial quality tent the other day at a ski resort, so I know they work. However, if you get one without snow and wind load rating, I think you're gambling.

So for a 12 ft x 20 ft that is rated, you're looking at around $2200. However, if you compare that to an actual building, it is a good deal. The obvious downside is that you don't have sturdy walls and an easy way to get electricity without cutting into the walls. The upside is that you have a building in a few hours.

Still up in the air on the idea.

Consider a carport---

carport.jpg
    I had this put up to cover our 26' boat (which I sold about a month later) -it's 12'x31', this is just the basic model but its very nice, only paid $1965 for it I think- I did get a 10% break, have a friend who sells them, and the 10% down they ask for? That's the seller's commission, and he knocked that off. Had it 3-1/2 years now, still like new. You can fully enclose the things, you can get wall panels with/without doors & windows, front and back walls and doors, make them taller, shorter- for the money they're not a bad deal...
    ========================================
    ELEVEN - rotary cutter tool machines
    FOUR - CO2 lasers
    THREE- make that FOUR now - fiber lasers
    ONE - vinyl cutter
    CASmate, Corel, Gravostyle

Blog Entries
    Jared mentioned truck boxes. Many years ago my father put me in contact with a person who is a broker for cargo containers, the 'truck boxes' used to ship goods on ships, trucks and trains. It is still where it was set more than 15 years ago. Unfortunately for me, that was in California and my home is now in Washington. My brother is using it for storage now.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Blog Entries
    There's no way I'm putting a container in my backyard. I think it's an interesting thought, not trying to put anyone down, but they aren't for me.

I put up a lightweight shelter for my brother last year in a sheltered spot. Big wind shredded it a month later.

Firewood is fine out in the weather, just sweep the snow off it and bring it in.