Thread: Sometimes you catch a break

Sometimes you catch a break

I have the big triton router. The plunge action was getting a little sticky so I decided to disassemble so I could clean and wax the posts. Removed the spring and then the retaining ring that prevents the body from sliding off the posts. Slid the body off, cleaned the posts and applied a little wax, buffed it out and reassembled. Plunge action was nice. Sweet. Went to lock the plunge and....nothing. No lock action.

Took it back apart. Removed the lock lever and scratched my head a bit before realizing there must have been a little spacer piece that fit between the lock lever bolt and the post, a little piece that was now nowhere to be seen. It obviously fell out when I pulled the body off the first time. With visions of a long delay to order a replacement I started searching for the piece. I looked everywhere, swept the floor, twice, moved all the nearby shelving units, got a long piece of scrap to go fishing under the bottom shelf of the assembly table where I was working. Found all kinds of "stuff" but nothing that looked like the piece I needed. #$%@$

I'm standing there looking at the disassembled router, with the hollow posts, when it dawned on me. Turned the base upside down and a little bronze disk fell out of the post.

At least the floor in the area is a lot cleaner than it has been in a long time.....

Why does this give me a feeling of deja vu?

I’m hoping this happens with my wedding ring I lost after I took it off in the shop!

Matt, there's hope for your ring....Not long after we were married, my wife and I attended a large party at a friends vacation property in PA. They had a big, deep pond that was perfect for swimming and diving off the low board. My wife dove in and came up gasping that her wedding ring had somehow come off when she dived in. Well, many of us spent a futile few hours diving to the bottom and feeling around in the muck for the ring, but no joy. It was at least 10 feet deep beneath the board and it was difficult to reach the bottom, let alone spend much time searching. We finally gave up and drove the couple of hours home with my wife being inconsolable.

The next weekend, I rigged up a fine net on a 20 foot pole and drove back up to the pond. It was slow going because the net would fill with muck on every swipe, but after an hour or so, I hit gold, literally. Happy ending, hoping you find your ring as well!

A few years ago we were on a kayak camping trip and got windbound on a beach. We waited a few hours and the wind and waves calmed down enough that we decided to head out. 100 yards off shore our friends rudder cable broke. We headed back to shore to repair it. As I was making the repair I noticed an object on a log where we had sat waiting out the storm. Someone from our group had left their knife behind. Had the rudder cable not broke they would have lost their knife. As an added bonus the weather settled down further while we were back on the beach despite that, when we set out again it was still pretty hairy.

Your wedding ring may not be gone yet. Shortly after we married, my husband lost his wedding band. Since he had no idea when it disappeared, we purchased a replacement. Two years later, way up on top of some ISO insulation, on skid racking in the warehouse at his employment, it was spotted. We joke that now he has a "spare" if he loses it again.

Hah, Lisa, that happened to me earlier this year. Came home from work and took my ring off and put it on the table next to my chair while I changed clothes. Came back and the dogs, in chasing each other around the living room, had hit the table (more of a TV tray) and knocked everything off. I could not find my ring anywhere, even after searching under furniture and behind bookcases. I ended up buying another one. Then, a couple of months later, the wife decides she wants new furniture in the living room, so we give the old furniture to her daughter. Move the chair, and out falls my ring. Now I have a spare.

Sounds like there’s hope!

Always check the couch cushions, that’s where I found my ring!

Can you come round and help me find my wee shavings brush?

Tom