Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Need to ID this air quick disconnect for SCM planer

Need to ID this air quick disconnect for SCM planer

Our new SCM planer arrived today and requires an air line. It arrived with a quick disconnect I haven't seen before and I need to get a mating plug for it.

Anyone know what type and size this is?

IMG_0861.jpgIMG_0859.jpg

I got something similar a while ago. I just unscrewed it from the tool, and installed a quick disconnect that worked with the rest of my equipment. The threading should be the same, even if the disconnect is different.

Definitely the backup plan, although I don't know what the threads are either.
    Quote Originally Posted by Andrew More View Post
    I got something similar a while ago. I just unscrewed it from the tool, and installed a quick disconnect that worked with the rest of my equipment. The threading should be the same, even if the disconnect is different.

If it was made in Europe very likely to have British pipe threads attaching the quick connect. Could also be some metric thread I suppose.
    Bill D.

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew More View Post
    +1. Some of the Minimax edgebanders had that weird fitting. From what I recall, the techs just unscrewed the OEM one and replaced it with a conventional fitting. Teflon tape is your friend.

Erik
    Ex-SCM and Felder rep

I assume you have tried mating it with a standard industrial style fitting? There is a European Universal type coupler that supposedly mates with many versions, including the US industrial standard. Looks pretty similar to your pic.

The other end of the fitting has some type of fine thread flare on it, so I'd need to adapt one end or the other. A standard industrial fitting only inserts to where the first knuckle enters the coupler before interference. Also, there's some type of inner sleeve inside the coupler that isn't present in a standard coupler.

I’ve never been able to mate those euro fittings to anything made here. As others have said I just thread in a US fitting. Always seems to work. I have a collection of these, if that doesn’t work I probably have a male hose fitting that will connect.
    A6F3E453-FDD8-4D9F-8496-CFC0747B92A7.jpg

Yeah, my closest guess is that it's a Series 21, but I'm not about to order a bunch of plugs to test. So now it's on to finding and adapter with this as one end.

IMG_0864.jpg

I took the fitting to Lowes hoping to find a match. No such luck, but I did find out the threads are M10x1.0. Now to find an adapter to 1/4" NPT.

there are lots of standards. I wanted to use one that's common in Europe and not in the US. Had to order them from Europe as no vendor in the US carried them. If I wanted a US supplier to get them the minimum order qty was like 50 pcs. without the plug it will be hard to match as the dimensions on google are all measured from the male part.

Jim, have you tried threading in gently a 3/8 brass quick connector with Teflon tape?

Mcmaster carr should have it

Blog Entries
    McMaster has British pipe thread to npt adapters. I chased down this rabbit hole with the Maka rebuild. German and British pipe threads are the same, I assume the remaining metrics are as well. British pipe thread comes in straight and tapered arrangements.

It may be easier to connect the metric hose to an NPT/metric adapter at the hard line. I’ve done this for all of my metric machines and I’m satisfied that it is a clean solution that eliminates quick disconnect fittings which become a source of leaks later on and to my mind are unnecessary for stationary tools.

For safety I’ve added in a lockout - Tagout setup to machines that I want to bleed down when they are not in use. If I want to disconnect the machine, I lock it out which bleeds down the line safely and then can be disassembled. I think this setup is common in manufacturing plants because of that. I wanted to make sure that no one could accidentally actuate the Maka when I wasn’t in the room.
    Last edited by Brian Holcombe; 08-10-2019 at 12:41 PM.
    Bumbling forward into the unknown.

To clarify, there are many different shapes of plugs. Not the size of the threads, but the shape of the plug. I would call SCM and ask what plug standard they ship with. I think as someone else stated you are likely best off swapping that coupler for one that uses a plug standard we use in the US.