Thread: Weedeater String Winder

Weedeater String Winder

My Stihl weeder is about 12 years old and the bump head on the winder worn down to where it is almost impossible to grab and wind on new string. So...…… I went to the lathe and made me a device to fit the short nubs left and give a good grip to wind on string. Stihl is supposed to have a new head design out there, but this "Winder" sure makes it easier. Of course, it could be made out of plastic for about $2 if manufacturers wanted to help out us old hands, but nice to be able to put the lathe to use to solve the problem. (New piece would cost about $15 if it was at dealer). Weedeater String Winder 2.JPGWeedeater String Winder.JPG

Nice going Thomas !! You made a very practical tool.

Well, I have a Husky weed whacker, and they have an aluminum head where you weave 2 pieces of the string through and back. A much more heavy duty string than on the wind up ones. I liked that a lot better than the bump head types, which just never seemed to work for very long... You could probably make one like that as well.

robo hippy

Very cool Thomas....innovation on a lathe is the spice of life
    ~john
    "There's nothing wrong with Quiet" ` Jeremiah Johnson

If that's a 25-2 head, don't you still have to take the cap off, and start the ends of each string? When my guys wear out a 25-2, I replace them with one of these:
    https://www.shindaiwa-usa.com/Products/speed-feed.aspx The heads are easy to change. You just stick a nail down in the hole on top of the gear head, and turn the head until it finds the lock spot. With the gear head locked like that, you just screw the whole head off, and screw on another one.

If that's not a 25-2, and you don't have to take the cap off, and fumble with parts, it's a shame if they stopped making that head. I do remember one old Stihl head that might have worked by passing the string through, but that was an older version of the 25-2, and they changed the design to where you have to put separate pieces of string in, and then bend them back the other way to get them to stay in place. My guys did like that old version better, but I think they still had to take it apart to get the string in.

They Stihl (pun) make the head but it cost $$. Being cheap and industrious, I decided to make something to grip for winding new string. Also have a new roll of string to last the next 5 years. The fix will probably outlast the 12+ year old weedeater. Had plenty of wood on hand and time.