Thread: Jet lathe 1642 disaster! PLEASE help

Jet lathe 1642 disaster! PLEASE help

Hi guys, first post here and it's ugly.

So I'm a luthier by trade and I NEED my lathe.

I've been running a Jet 1642 for years. Recently there was a storm while I was out of town and I believe it fried my inverter. Either way, the inverter was clearly dead. So, in the interest of simplicity and speed I ordered a replacement inverter (non-returnable of course) and had it rushed to me. Got it wired in today, started it up and the error code "Lu" popped. As best I can tell, it appears to be a problem with the motor. Is it p;ossible..or likely... that the motor is a victim of the same storm?

Thanks guys..

David Boisvert
    Last edited by Thom Sturgill; 03-22-2020 at 7:59 AM. Reason: link to external site removed

I googled "vfd error code lu" just to see what results come up. "lu" comes up as low voltage. Are you using 120vac but the inverter is set for 240vac? Did it come with an installation manual?

Quote Originally Posted by Eric Danstrom View Post
    I googled "vfd error code lu" just to see what results come up. "lu" comes up as low voltage. Are you using 120vac but the inverter is set for 240vac? Did it come with an installation manual?
    If it's the stock Delta S1 inverter the manual is available for download.

If it came from Jet it should have all the programming done but it wouldn't hurt to check. If you bought one elsewhere you will likely have to program it before use.

I don't see a "lu" code listed but there is an "lv" code which is low voltage. Page 7-3 in the manual has a flow chart for debugging low voltage.

JKJ

Jet 1642 VFD parameters

I copied these from one of my 1642s.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Jet 1642 VFD parameters Delta VFD-S series, 115 volt version
    (I made a note in my manual that this is VFD0075S11A style as shown on pg c-12)

The Jet/Powermatic unlock code is 506.

These three parameters are read-only, perhaps are hardwired

0-00 4 (identity code, read only)
    0-01 4.2 (capacity in amps, read only)
    0-06 2.3 (read only)

These are the parameters different from the defaults
    All other parameters are set to factory defaults according to the Delta manual

1-00 132 Max output frequency
    1-01 60.0 Max voltage frequency
    1-03 5.0 Mid-point frequency
    1-04 20.0 Mid-point voltage
    1-05 5.0 Min output frequency
    1-06 20.0 Min output voltage
    1-09 5.0 Acceleration time
    1-10 5.00 Deceleration time

2-00 1 Master freq determined by analog signal 0v-10v
    Position of jumper J1: top two pins for voltage signal input
    2-01 2 Operation, keyboard stop disabled

4-09 1 Enable line start lockout

6-00 0 Disable over-voltage stall prevention
    6-01 390 for 230v series (should be factory setting)
    6-08 1 Present fault record: over-currrent
    6-09 1 Second most recent fault: over-current
    6-10 1 Third most recent fault: over-current

7-00 120 Motor rated current
    -----end-----
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I bought it from m&m tool parts which is an approved dealer for jet parts. Jet customer service said it was guaranteed to be plug n play... how do I check to make sure the voltage is set correctly?

Quote Originally Posted by David Boisvert View Post
    I bought it from m&m tool parts which is an approved dealer for jet parts. Jet customer service said it was guaranteed to be plug n play... how do I check to make sure the voltage is set correctly?
    I can't see where you answered the question as to whether the lathe is the 120 or 220v version. I think most of the 1642s are 120v. Before checking the inverter verify you have goood power from the receptacle and through the cord to the lathe. If you don't have experience with checking power perhaps you have a friend who does or call an electrician.

For the inverter check the manual. If you don't have one download the Delta S1 VFD manual - it has both the control and power connection diagrams for all versions of the inverter. Also, I would verify that the programmed parameters are correct by displaying them one at a time and comparing to the list given earlier.

I suppose it's possible for the problem to be in the motor but I think it's unlikely.

JKJ

It's 120. Outlets are fine. Have no idea how to verify the programmed parameters. That's NOT in the manual. I wired it exactly like the old one.

I would call Jet support center, They’re very responsive and helpful when I have used them.

Quote Originally Posted by David Boisvert View Post
    It's 120. Outlets are fine. Have no idea how to verify the programmed parameters. That's NOT in the manual. I wired it exactly like the old one.
    You have not yet said what brand and model of VFD they sold you (or at least I haven't seen it). If it's the stock Delta S1 did you get or download the full Delta S1 manual? If not, do that first. The instructions ARE in the manual. Keep in mind the manual was written by engineers and not technical writers so you won't find "push this then that to review the parameters". But everything needed is there.

Look at the illustration in section 4.1 on page 4-1 for the buttons and details. I don't have time to verify the button presses and write out the details but IIRC basically you press the DATA button, use the arrow keys to get to the right group (0, 1, 2, etc.), then use the DATA, arrows, and MODE buttons to step through the parameters and look at the actual data value stored. Page 4-2 shows you what the display will look like for the group/parameter/data value.

Step through each parameter and write down the data value. Then compare the list to the list of mine that I included in the earlier message.

If this is not something you can deal with, then the advice to call Jet technical support is probably your best bet.

If it turns out the motor is bad you might get it rewound at a motor shop for a lot cheaper than buying a new one.

JKJ

David, sorry you're going through this. BTW, the work on your website is beautiful. Are you a member of a woodturning club, or know of someone locally who is? Sounds like you could benefit from some hands-on help from someone locally who is experienced with the electronics of the Jet/PM lathes. The Delta S1-series inverter is a very reliable inverter, and Jet/PM has used it on their lathes for many years. I'm certain there are a number of folks near you who have it. Probably even some who are sparkies or EEs, or who at least are familiar with the S-1 owner's manual.

I just checked online and see that The Minnesota Woodturners Association in Plymouth is very local to you, and there may be others. I'd reach out to them today. I've yet to meet a fellow woodturner who isn't willing to provide helpful advice when he/she can.

11. Thanks for the programming parameters. I recently bought a replacement Delta Electronics VFD (not through Jet) and these parameters worked perfectly. I did get get parameters from Jet too but they looked a little fishy. They referenced a different VFD model number and some of the parameters were outside the program able range. The parameters you provided (except the 6-08, 6-09, and 6-10) made sense to me so I went with them. Worked great. Thanks again.