Thread: Rikon 10-353 Vs Laguna 18BX

Rikon 10-353 Vs Laguna 18BX

In the market for a new bandsaw. Need to have at least 14 inch resaw, and also be able to handle curve cutting as well. So blade widths of 1/4 to at least 3/4.

This saw will be for general luthiery, guitar building, and I would like a 1 saw option. Most of the work will be curve cutting, with the occasional resaw, so changing out blades is not a huge issue for me.

Both choices are good saws, no denying that. Just looking for general feedback, suggestions and nudges in either direction

Rikon 10-353
    https://www.rikontools.com/product/10-353

Laguna 18BX
    https://lagunatools.com/traditional-.../18bx-bandsaw/

I should mention that I can get the Rikon for significantly less than the Laguna, due to the fact that I have credit at a local store that sells Rikon. But I want to make the right decision, independent of price.

Which guide system really is best? Tool-less bearings that can be upgraded to carter in the future, or Laguna Ceramic guides?

Which would you pick for the 1 stop, basement shop for guitar 🎸 building ?

This decision has literally had me loosing sleep for weeks. Hope you guys can help steer me in the right direction!

I would choose the Laguna 18bx.
    I used to have the 18 Lt and I thought it was great.
    They used to offer a 18 HD that was really heavy built.
    I would imagine your going to want to use the Resaw King blade. So why not get the whole package?
    Good Luck
    Aj

I bought the 18bx a few months ago and looked at the Rikon at the time. I think it is pretty much a toss up feature wise. Probably the main reason I didn't go with the rikon is I just couldn't find any decent reviews out there (for that model), while there were tons for the 18bx. And no one near me had the rikon in stock to look at and check out. The rikon certainly has a better warranty, a little more left tilt, and dual miter slots, if you care about any of those things. If you will be doing lots of curves, you may want to see if the carter small blade stabilizer is available for either saw; that thing is sweet for cutting curves.

All that said, I have nothing bad to say about the laguna. I mostly do heavy ripping and some resaw, and it performs nicely at those tasks.

Chris, the saws cost pretty much the same. That you have a “credit” doesn’t make the Rikon cheaper, it just means you can utilize that money you’ve already spent. If you order a saw from out of state you won’t be charged sales tax which amounts to $100- $200 depending on your state.

Laguna often has “offers” that may sweeten the deal more. Like a blade or two.

Chris - I can only speak to the Laguna since that is what I have. I went through a similar decision process a year and ago and decided on the 18BX. It is a great saw and a workhorse.
    ===========

James Cheever
    Ga Tech NROTC - 1978
    Run Silent, Run Deep
    Commander, USN (Retired)

Okay so the real question is: what’s better?

Carter Guides
    Or
    Laguna Guides

I would go with the Laguna simply for the extra weight. 300ish pounds for a saw of this size is very light. I have a 19" Grizzly bandsaw that's a little over 400 lbs and I would say it's right at the lower limit for weight. It doesn't have the resaw you need so not an option. Rikon's guides look nice but once I adjust the guides I never touch them until I change blades. I use my Grizzly for making turning blanks for a lathe so both of your choices shouldn't be a problem for cutting curves. In fact they would be better than a 14" saw as they will have a larger table (which is another plus for the Laguna which is larger) which will help with awkward shaped pieces.

The Rikon is a 14" saw, the Laguna is an 18" saw - two different sizes, thus the weight difference. 300 pounds for a 14" saw is a robust saw as I own the 10-353 and it is a beast and well made saw. I love it.

I also think the OP is comparing apples to oranges here and I will explain why....tariffs.

I just purchased the 10-353 in April for $1450 out the door with liftgate service included. Thus, when I looked at this post and saw the new price they are selling these for $1999, I choked...lol. Thus, as others have said in this thread, for $2000 the Laguna 18BX is more saw for your money because its made in Taiwain and isnt affected by tariffs.

FYI, a fair comparison would be to compare the Laguna 14SUV 14" saw to the 10-353 as both are affected by tariffs and both significantly overbuilt, robust 3hp, 14" saws, next to the Laguna 14BX saws.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Denzler View Post
    Okay so the real question is: what’s better?

Carter Guides
    Or
    Laguna Guides
    I converted my Rikon 10-325 to the Laguna-style ceramic blocks. I thought the stock guides were way too fiddly to adjust.

Jason can you please share a link with me as to what Laguna guides you installed? Thank you so much, I cannot find a straight answer as to if the Laguna guides will fit on the Rikon

https://lagunatools.com/accessories/...ide-selection/

Which one of these sets will fit on the Rikon 10-353 ?

12. When I looked at them side by side the Laguna just seemed that it was built better- welds were nice, the surfaces machined a bit better, and the finish nicer. These things might be cosmetic but to me say that the Laguna has a higher level of build that most likely went all the way thru. Plus why buy something new and have to change out guides and whatnot? I've been happy with the Laguna and the Resaw King blades so far.

I wouldn't change the guides on the Rikon. The 10-353 has the new easy to adjust guides. It's probably the biggest selling point for the saw. If you go that direction I would wait until you've used the stock guide bearings before deciding to replace them. I can't tell you the quality of the bearings and while it doesn't sound like you'll be using wet wood you could be using some exotic wood that might have resin in them that could eventually get into the bearings causing them to lock up. If the bearings do go bad then you could swap to blocks or you may want to replace the bearings with higher quality ones that should be sealed better.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Denzler View Post
    Jason can you please share a link with me as to what Laguna guides you installed? Thank you so much, I cannot find a straight answer as to if the Laguna guides will fit on the Rikon
    I used the ones from Space Age Ceramics:

https://spaceageceramics.com/

I'm sure the new toolless ones from Rikon are better. Mine had the allen bolts and they were a pain to adjust. They were also very loud at times.

Jason