Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: "Mail" order black walnut

"Mail" order black walnut

Looking for a good source for clear, all heartwood walnut in small quantity - some 6/4 for (4) 24" legs, some 4/4 for various small table parts. I'm trying to match some very old (100 yr +?) material that I'm re-purposing - I've designed a 18"D, 24"W, 24"H bedside table for my daughter and I have enough for the top, 2 of 3 aprons and the drawer front, so can do most of what is highly visible with the old stock. I've looked at what is available locally, and I'm not impressed.......willing to pay UPS shipping to get really nice stuff. I've never ordered materials on line/by phone before. Any recommendations for supplier(s)? I understand that I'll need to figure in a significant waste % to get all heartwood, and would prefer unsteamed.

Blog Entries
    Horizon wood will UPS small orders. I've sourced incredible wood from them, exceptional quality.
    Bumbling forward into the unknown.

I will attest to the quality of the lumber that Brian has received from Horizon...really excellent stuff.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Try Bell Forest Products in Ishpeming MI - www.bellforestproducts.com 1-906-486-4769 ask for Boone or Eric.

Thank you gentlemen for the steer(s). I've been in touch with Pete at Horizon and am awaiting his response based on what we discussed.

There aren’t good sources in VT?

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Day View Post
    There aren’t good sources in VT?
    Matt, sources, yes, although limited, and what I saw I wasn't impressed with. Keep in mind, I'm trying to match up with very old walnut......

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Darrow View Post
    Matt, sources, yes, although limited, and what I saw I wasn't impressed with. Keep in mind, I'm trying to match up with very old walnut......
    Gotcha. Matching walnut can be a bear.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Day View Post
    Gotcha. Matching walnut can be a bear.

That's why dyes, stains, and glazes were developed. You will almost never be able to get a perfect color match with woods like walnut, cherry, and others. After a hundred years it would be almost impossible for new wood to match old, aged wood. The only way I know how to get there is to start out with something close, if possible, but always lighter, and then adjust the color until it matches, then finish the whole thing with a light stable finish so it stays that way for a long, long time.

John

I buy all my wood from www.woodworkerssource.com in Phoenix, Az. Because I live here I just drive over and pick it up but they are very good at shipping. I think most of their business is on-line. They have a great selection of hardwoods and are really good about picking out the best wood they have in stock.

Ask for "VG" walnut for your legs. You'll be surprised how the different age of the legs vs the visible top and drawer front just won't matter a bit to the overall look.

If you buy Vertical grain, you pay a little more, but you'll end up wasting precious little of it if you are making table legs and 'various small table parts'.

Quote Originally Posted by John TenEyck View Post
    That's why dyes, stains, and glazes were developed. You will almost never be able to get a perfect color match with woods like walnut, cherry, and others. After a hundred years it would be almost impossible for new wood to match old, aged wood. The only way I know how to get there is to start out with something close, if possible, but always lighter, and then adjust the color until it matches, then finish the whole thing with a light stable finish so it stays that way for a long, long time.

John
    So noted. Hoping to avoid, but you gotta do what you gotta do.....

Orion just hand picked me a beautiful pile of 12/4 walnut that was either rift or material I could cut rift from.

They did a excellent job picking this lumber, as a result I have had near if not zero waist. Every stick I cut into to mill up I got exactly what I needed out of. I purchased overage and I won’t use any of it.

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Walsh View Post
    Orion just hand picked me a beautiful pile of 12/4 walnut that was either rift or material I could cut rift from.

They did a excellent job picking this lumber, as a result I have had near if not zero waist. Every stick I cut into to mill up I got exactly what I needed out of. I purchased overage and I won’t use any of it.
    Patrick: Did you mean Irion?

Blog Entries
    I've had excellent experience with Irion. You do have to buy a bunch...