Thread: Need help designing an undercabinet shelf that slides out and tilts down

Question Need help designing an undercabinet shelf that slides out and tilts down

I've seen these designs in units for purchase, and actually was thinking about buying one and taking it apart to see how it works. The design is a shallow Spice Rack that slides in
    under my kitchen cabinet and as you pull it out, the front edge will tilt down at a 45 degree angle so that you can access the spices easier. It does not appear to have any specific hardware, other than a small nylon or aluminum pin that must ride in a track and allow the unit to tilt down without falling out----A simple lift up from the front edge and the shelf should slide back in under the cabinet. I have contemplated building a working model, but then I thought with all the great talent that is on this site, that someone may have already designed something similar. I am open to any suggestions-----the shelf or drawer will be 22 inches long and approx 2" deep made of 1/2 material with a 1/4" bottom
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by John Matulionis; 08-05-2019 at 11:56 AM. Reason: adding picture

You could do 2 pins at the back on each side that both ride in the track. When the drawer is fully extended there could be a Y in the track for the back pin that is at an angle to the original track so that it could allow the rotation of the drawer.

Thanx Mitch----sounds like a relatively easy solution-----appreciate the help

John Matulionis,

This is a surprisingly tough design as control of the sliding, tilting, plus having the drawer be supported when tilted require a precise geometry.

This design uses two 3/8" diameter pins mounted on the drawers that run in tracks routed in the sides. The model is shown as transparent for visibility of all components:

Spice Drawer_Tilting_Component view.jpg

View when the drawer is closed:

Spice Drawer_Tilting_Drawer closed.jpg

View when drawer is full extended. This shows the two geometric support elements, the shaped block of the top rear of the drawer and the shaped bottom support which holds the drawer level when closed and supports near the rear end when tilted:

Spice Drawer_Tilting_Drawer fully extended.jpg

When the drawer is tilted, the rear upper block presses against the underside of the rack top, the pins are pressed against the front of the routed track and the back of the drawer bottom rests on the 45 deg shaped block:

Spice Drawer_Tilting_Drawer tilted.jpg

1. The top of the upper shaped block and part of the surface of the bottom support should be clearanced to allow felt pads for smooth, quiet movement.

2. The three holes in the bottom support are to allow, with the drawer extended, a screwdriver through to place screws to mount the rack on the underside of the upper cabinet.

3. The drawer is installed from the back, so the drawer face needs to be removable.

A fun but difficult project!

Alan
    Last edited by Alan Caro; 08-06-2019 at 5:17 PM.

Thank you Alan. Certainly a bit more complex than the first solution provided, but also more in line what I was looking to achieve. I will in fact try both of these methods and post back my results----Thanx again