Thread: Jointer

Question Jointer

I want to buy a jointer and new to woodworking. Any thoughts on new vs used tools?
    I saw a used Delta 6" im interested in. Whats better, Grizzly or Jet?

Ed,
    A 6” floor standing jointer is good to start with. If you stick with the hobby you’ll want to upgrade soon, to at least an 8”.
    Just about every major manufacturer from overseas will be pretty much the same, except maybe Harbor Freight which I’d avoid for precision jointery.

Generally the used 6" craftsman jointers on craiglist/Facebook marketplace are plentiful and cheap. If you want to buy new Grizzly and Rigid both have decent products in this range.

Don't worry too much if it's a rusty piece of crap. Generally speaking jointers are pretty bullet proof. As long as the bed isn't pitted with rust, a little surface rust is easy to fix.

You also might want to consider a benchtop jointer, depending on the amount of space you have available. From what I can tell the bench top jointers are all the same, and probably made by the same manufacturer. They're okay for smaller projects, but if you have the space, and the money I'd buy a new Rigid, or a used craftsman first. Generally speaking benchtop jointers don't have as long a bed, and the longer the bed, the longer the board you can joint.

I like the Rigid slightly better than the Grizzly just because you can return it at Home Depot if there's an issue.

You can also use a thickness planer instead of a jointer in a pinch.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G8o4P-aM8UE&t=400s

Or a table saw:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vrYjc3G1vgo

Or a router table:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SAPvg48SvVY
    Last edited by Andrew More; 08-05-2019 at 9:33 AM.

Ed,

Matt nailed it. The 6" floor standing machine is great to start with. I bought a new Delta 6" 30 years ago, upgraded the cutterhead to a Byrd and still use it today. That said, I wish I had an 8" both for the additional width and longer beds. Enough time with this hobby, we all want bigger better machines.

I just saw a great Delta jointer like mine for sale. You should be able to find a really nice one used.

Between Jet and Grizzly, I would probably go for a Grizzly. If you have a local Woodcraft or Rockler, just take a look and talk to them about pros and cons.

Cheers,
    Mark

Contrary to what Andrew said, I would never recommend a benchtop jointer, unless you work in a closet sized shop. Benchtop jointers are too tall on top of a bench and unless bolted down can move during a cut or tip over, not a good thing.

Ed ,others here have good advice. I would recommend buying used. My reason is as Matt stated you will probably outgrow this machine if you stick with this hobby.It is far easier to sell and recoup your money if you buy used. As far as brands all I would say is most of the machines from Taiwan/China are very similar. Some even come from the same factories with different color paint. Just make sure the beds are flat and line up with each other and the fence is straight .

If you buy used or new make sure the fence is center mount. The old end mount fences are a pain to reset square everytime it is moved.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Day View Post
    Contrary to what Andrew said, I would never recommend a benchtop jointer, unless you work in a closet sized shop. Benchtop jointers are too tall on top of a bench and unless bolted down can move during a cut or tip over, not a good thing.
    If new is the only option, ~$300 vs $600 is also a pretty strong argument. I know it's easy to spend other people's money over the 'net, but for somebody just starting out cheaper tools aren't the worst suggestion in the world.

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew More View Post
    If new is the only option, ~$300 vs $600 is also a pretty strong argument. I know it's easy to spend other people's money over the 'net, but for somebody just starting out cheaper tools aren't the worst suggestion in the world.
    Usually cheaper tools are the worst suggestion in the world. A chintzy plastic benchtop jointer will result in a lot of frustration. If your budget is seriously limited, begin scouring used sites for older machinery that is well made and can be calibrated.

People are free to spend their money as they see fit but after my own missteps, I believe the above advice is valuable.

I wonder if most used jointers are sold with wornout knives. New happy buyer uses it a little for new hobby. After a few years blades get dull and he does not realize it. Gets loud and hard to get a good cut. Gives up hobby and sells the jointer.
    Bill D.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Pyle View Post
    Usually cheaper tools are the worst suggestion in the world. A chintzy plastic benchtop jointer will result in a lot of frustration.
    WOOD magazine awarded Grizzly a "Wise Buy" for their benchtop jointer, which is not made of plastic, but instead features of a cast iron table, and aluminum fence. This guy is pretty happy with his Porter Cable benchtop jointer, which is also not made of plastic. I'm also not sure how you're doing financially, but $300 is not cheap.

Nobody is saying they're as good as the larger jointers, but they're also not "chintzy" tools either. Also not everybody lives in an area where used tools are readily available.

Quote Originally Posted by Ed Hurst View Post
    I want to buy a jointer and new to woodworking. Any thoughts on new vs used tools?
    I saw a used Delta 6" im interested in. Whats better, Grizzly or Jet?
    I purchased a used good condition 8" Powermatic jointer 10 years ago for about 1/2 the cost of a new one. It does everything a new one at the time (did not have the helix heads at the time) would do, It is used frequently and is in the same shape today as the day I purchased it. I purchased a good condition used Powermatic planer at the same time, with the same results. I have purchased other used equipment with the same results. I see no reason to purchase new equipment if good used equipment that does the same thing is available. That is my experience.

What other tools do you have so far? I would get a planer before a jointer.

Buy used. Buy at least an 8" one. No one who wants to face joint lumber stays with a 6" one for long. I have a 14" one and it's still not too big. Don't worry about helical heads. Straight knives worked for over a hundred years and still work fine. So, buy a used 8" or wider straight knife jointer from some guy who just has to have one with a helical head. Any place I can drive to/from in a day is the range I consider acceptable.