Thread: Creeker's Past Week's Accomplishments

Creeker's Past Week's Accomplishments

5 Aug 2019

Greetings,
    The LOML and I finally got all the "issues" resolved with the bathroom remodel and we started moving forward with the remodel instead of the old 1 step forward and 4 steps backwards. Painting for the walls is complete. Water proofing over the tub/shower enclosure is done, bath vanity reinstalled after painting it, electrical work and new fixtures installed, new flooring installed, new base molding installed, all the crown molding is done except for 1 piece, new door trim is done and we are picking up the tile for over the tub/shower enclosure today. As best I know it right now, we should be "finished" with this bathroom remodel before Saturday of this week.

That's it for me, so what did YOU do this past week?

Best of weeks to you all.
    Thanks & Happy Wood Chips,
    Dennis -
    Get the Benefits of Being an SMC Contributor..!
    ....DEBT is nothing more than yesterday's spending taken from tomorrow's income.

Well, Dennis, I finally have in my kitchen the project I've been working on for the last 3 years!
    Display cabinet with 99% reclaimed Oak from some pews that were being tossed, all edged, jointed, glues, planed (by hand - too big to fit in the planer) 2 fixed shelves, etc. etc. I feel it's too amateurish to post, alongside some of the spectacular work I see here.
    Other than that, I'm cleaning the workshop, getting ready to build the wife a storage cabinet for dry goods in the kitchen and starting the planning on 2 new projects: a pair of Oak display stands, and a large men's dressers for my 2 sons.
    Young enough to remember doing it;
    Old enough to wish I could do it again.

You're doing a bang-up job on that bathroom, Dennis!!

This past week I finished up some CNC work for a client before leaving for central Florida to help my 89 year young mother/kid move from her "independent living" apartment of 7 years to a newly renovated suite room in the assisted living facility of her life-care community. The move is the easy part...sorting through about 60-80 years of "stuff" is "more fun" since her new space is small and I have to have everything out of the apartment "expeditiously". Fortunately, a very close friend and her daughter are coming to help me with that. So no woodworking for me this week or next...commissions waiting for me when I get home, however.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

I just spent the past week at Arrowmont taking a spoon carving class. It was really an eye opening week. It was all hand carving on kiln dried cherry. I came out with a fantastic spoon. But, I like power carving better.

Aaron, congrats on completing your project! Just wanted to add that there are all levels of woodworkers here at SMC, and you should never feel “too ameuturist”. I’ve received some very helpful and constructive advice here from very experienced folks. So post away...you’ll be glad you did.

Sunday was spend at the West Australian (Perth) Wood Show, where I was presenting demonstrations on the use of hand tools in joinery, as well as a master class on dovetailing. I was there as well for the furniture competition. I came in second. (Details of the Wood Show in the Hand Tool forum).

Regards from Perth

Derek

Derek, congratulations! What an excellent table for your home and even getting a second is a major accomplishment.
    Young enough to remember doing it;
    Old enough to wish I could do it again.

Thanks Aaron.

Regards from Perth

Derek

Prevented an 18th Century chimney from collapsing, and falling by playing Russian Roulette Jenga removing hundred pound stones from inside the stone base after tying the chimney to the house, bracing it, and then filling the base with concrete that bonded to the supporting stones that I left, unitizing the whole base that had been spreading. This week, we're laying bricks to fill in holes where some had fallen out.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Congratulations, Derek!! That's a wonderful accomplishment and well deserved!
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Many thanks Jim

Regards from Perth

Derek

Tom, your work on these old historic places must be very satisfying. Thanks for helping to keep these places standing for the rest of us to enjoy!

First of 10 shutters complete