Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Spiders spiders and more spiders

Spiders spiders and more spiders

I've been doing alot of cleaning in the garage the last 2 weeks. And OMG I didn't realize I had so many spiders. They are everywhere. Top of every corner, behind the AC handler, around the air compressor and water heater under shelves. And with them there's lots and lots of spider web.
    After doing some research the answer seemed to be peppermint essential oil. Spiders supposedly hate it and will go away. I diluted some oil in a spray bottle with some water and sprayed it everywhere. Now my garage smells like a damn candy factory and the spiders.............
    They haven't moved an inch. Still camping out in the same place.

So I have to ask, What is everyone doing for spiders and other insect control in the garage and shop. It's starting to get out of control and look like a halloween haunted house.

Thanks for your time.
    Jeff Body
    Go-C Graphics

China 50W Laser
    Model # SH-350
    Controller RDC6442
    Vinyl Plotter Graphtec CE600-60
    Software used
    Inkscape, FlexiStarter, VinylMaster 4, RDWorksV8

Demon WP Insecticide.

Available in small quantities and packets that make for easy occasional use.

Talstar P is cheaper but you will have to handle it more and store an opened bottle safely. Even with grown children, I store stuff that dangerous in a locked and labeled cabinet.
    Last edited by Greg R Bradley; 08-04-2019 at 8:43 PM.

If they're outdoors, I leave them alone. They're catching other bugs that would bother me. I try not to walk into a spider web but sometimes I don't see the web before I run into it. I feel bad for the spider who put so much work into building it.

I don't get that many indoors so I handle them individually (kill them individually).

Mike
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

Inside garages, if they get away from us, we use a ShopVac, and suck in a paper towel with some Acetone on it, for wasps too. Under soffits, in sheds, porches, boathouses, and around entrances to garages, I use Suspend. It's non-staining, and not strong smelling. Left for any time to amount to anything, one will hatch hundreds.

https://www.solutionsstores.com/susp...Lw_wcB#156=894

Jeff, spiders are not insects .. they help to control insects. Unless they are right where I want to be I leave them alone. ..But that's just me.

Blog Entries
    Spiders used to bother me more than they do now. Mostly because they eat all the other bugs.

My approach is to relocate spiders outside if they get too annoying.

In certain parts of my yard when walking a stick comes in handy to wave in front of me to dispel the path of webs. They are everywhere.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Quote Originally Posted by Yonak Hawkins View Post
    Jeff, spiders are not insects .. they help to control insects. Unless they are right where I want to be I leave them alone. ..But that's just me.
    Normally I would but their webs have gotten out of hand.
    Jeff Body
    Go-C Graphics

China 50W Laser
    Model # SH-350
    Controller RDC6442
    Software used

As for killing batches of 'em, like on our houseboat, Home Defense seems to work okay, and Home Depot sells a 'spider spray', don't know what brand but it works too...

Had spiders use my face as a chew toy while sleeping one night. I don't care if they eat politicians, I see one, it's dead.
    ========================================
    ELEVEN - rotary cutter tool machines
    FOUR - CO2 lasers
    THREE- make that FOUR now - fiber lasers
    ONE - vinyl cutter
    CASmate, Corel, Gravostyle

Quote Originally Posted by Greg R Bradley View Post
    Demon WP Insecticide
    100% agree. I knocked out the spiders in my old shop with the stuff and apply it once or twice a year around the perimeter of my house. Just used the stuff a week ago and no more big creepy spiders. I hate spiders.
    I also knocked out a red ant colony recently with it.

If there are spiders, there is spider food. Spiders are generally "our friends". If you reduce the spider food (insects), the population of spiders will drop accordingly.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Home Defense works ok.

Blog Entries
    Funny this thread should pop up again. While picking up my tools after cutting firewood today this bug made me think it was a spider when first viewed:

Banded Alder Borer.jpg

It is a Banded Alder Borer and mostly is interested in trees that are already dead or on the ground so it isn't considered a pest.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

I went with Demon WP.
    Worked great and now I have a much cleaner garage.
    Jeff Body
    Go-C Graphics

China 50W Laser
    Model # SH-350
    Controller RDC6442
    Software used

Does it have a smell? The things I like about Suspend is no odor, and non-staining for places like the bases of porch rockers, and soffits.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom M King View Post
    Does it have a smell? The things I like about Suspend is no odor, and non-staining for places like the bases of porch rockers, and soffits.
    Suspend dries clear so advantages and disadvantages to that.

Suspend SC is similar to Demon WP but is a liquid so you have to measure and mix the concentrated liquid like Talstar P. Because you just open a packet of the Demon WP and put it in the water, it is a bit less demanding on the precautions you need to follow. I guess I'm a bit more comfortable recommending a packet to someone that might be uncomfortable storing or handing a liquid that is extremely toxic. For rare use, the powder keeps far longer.

You know you can't buy ANY of these in California without an Exterminators License so do be careful. Of course, you can buy it from Amazon or via mail order.