Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Advice for exterior bench

This.

No wood does well over the long haul outside unless you like weathered gray, at best, and black mold, moss, and a host of other issues in many cases. On finished wood there's the upkeep required to keep the finish from degrading, typically measured in months, not years. Covering outdoor furniture just about eliminates all those problems. The only problem I now have with the two pieces I keep covered is the wasps like to build nests up under the covers so I get an unwanted surprise sometimes when I pull the cover off. Nothing is perfect, but dealing with a few wasps is nothing compared with the nearly yearly maintenance before I started using the covers.

John

Ipe could be an option, however it is not as readily available in the Southeastern Pa. I imagine I could order through a local lumber yard though.

I have an Ipe' deck. Does complete stripping and refinishing every year sound like fun?

John

John, I assume that this is your experience with Ipe. That being said what finish have you used? Jack

Quote Originally Posted by jack dempsey View Post
    John, I assume that this is your experience with Ipe. That being said what finish have you used? Jack
    That's my experience, yes. I started out with Ipe' Oil when I first built it. That faded within a couple of months which was disappointing but not nearly as frustrating as the dirt and black mold that was on/in it by the next Spring. So then I tried Penofin Hardwood Oil. Same result, only even harder to get the crude off. The best stuff I've found to remove the dirt/black mold has been TSP + bleach with a power washing. Jomax deck stripper works, too, but costs over $150 to do my deck. After even more research I'm trying Armstrong Clark's oil based deck stain this year. It's not as good looking as the other two, but if it doesn't turn into a dirt/mold mess over the Winter I'll be OK with that.

I built a Sapele table that sits on my deck. I finished it with some of the Penofin Hardwood Oil. After 2 years it still looks new - I keep it covered except when I'm using it.

John