Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: West Australian (Perth) Wood Show 2019

West Australian (Perth) Wood Show 2019

The Show ran Friday to Sunday, today - which is when I managed to attend. Some of the photos are taken early in the day. The plan was that I would do a few demonstrations (of hand tool use, plus run a master class on dovetailing), grab my prize (I did win something), and run. But there were so many interesting things to see, and I got chatting with old friends .. and then my wife turned up in the afternoon (presumably to ensure that I did not sell her new table ... no, there was a concurrent craft show on) ... and so on ...

I took a lot of photos, but I will just show a few.

Old tools for sale!

Isn't this cool ...

I did help ... pointed out a little bit of tearout ...it did bring a smile

My favourite is always the area where my friend Greg Miller (in the blue shirt) runs a green wood school, and always has a section for kids:

Where else do you see kids having so much fun with a shave horse!

Just in case you think that Perth is stuck in the 1800s, there were plenty of power tools and machines for sale. But it is old hat. I know everyone is waiting to see the furniture.

Well, I did not win. My club mate, Ian Houghton won first prize with a chest called "The Three Americans" (the name went over my head). Interestingly for me, it was also a harlequin theme. A really stunning piece. The photos do not do it justice.

Dovetailed drawers with suede bottoms ...

I got second place ...

Third went to this heavily inlaid cabinet ...

One other piece I will show is first place in the box section, which went to another club member, Martin Burgoyne. Martin had just returned from a course in Japan, the influence for this piece ...

I did not understand it at first, and needed to read the display notice ...

Hope you found this interesting.

Oh, my prize for second place was a HNT Gordon end vise.

Regards from Perth

Derek

Looks like a great show, but once again, you were beaten by flash instead of woodworking.

Quote Originally Posted by Derek Cohen View Post
    One other piece I will show is first place in the box section, which went to another club member, Martin Burgoyne. Martin had just returned from a course in Japan, the influence for this piece ...
    Hope you found this interesting.
    Indeed. Fascinating!

How would you value something like that for an insurance claim?

Wow, Derek !

Had I known you were occupied at a woodworking show I could have flown down to Perth, and run off with your Blue Spruce chisels and been back in Virginia before you knew it. That way I could have avoided the expense of buying my own. Besides, perhaps by some mysterious force (osmosis ?? ) some of your talent may have flown back with me. :>)

Izzat TG at the shavehorse, with a new "Gandalf" beard?

Looks like a great show. Thanks for posting it Derek!
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

“If you want to know what a man's like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals.”

Good pics Derek!

Thanks for the photos Derek, you even managed to get my ugly mug in one. To answer your question Jim Mathews, the Gandalph bearded bloke at the shave horse is HTPSWA member Peter, at 7' the tallest man I've ever met.
    Cheers,
    Geoff.

Could the "three Americans" be walnut, maple and cherry? Just an idea.

Congratulations on your award Derek. The awards given often times leaves one with a lot of head scratching time. The first place prize winner is very well done too. Sometimes we see one thing like the metal drawer guides an immediately dismiss the work as not “real” woodworking. Blinds ones judgement on what’s really there. To win second place at such a show is an accomplishment beyond what many could only dream about, me included. Well done.
    Jim

Blog Entries
    Thank you for sharing, the cabinet looks great.

Martin's boxes are stunning.
    Bumbling forward into the unknown.

Blog Entries
    Yes, it was an interesting array of images.

Congrats on taking second place.

Ian Houghton won first prize with a chest called "The Three Americans" (the name went over my head).
    My first thought on this was the woods may have come from North, South and Central America. Scott's observation, of it being three American woods, may be a better interpretation.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Derek,

Congratulations and well-deserved! And will be curious to see the new bench you build for that vise

And thank you for sharing Martin's boxes. There is a remarkable video on Suda Kenji on youtube for anyone who hasn't seen it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=epCgloUe9dU

Again, congratulations for placing at the top at such a quality venue!
    "You can observe a lot just by watching."
    --Yogi Berra

Congrats! Tough competition.

I keep trying to find the word to describe what comes to mind when I see your table. In that particular photo, it looks "stubborn" to me.

And beautiful.