Thread: Software or Hardware? Rotary engraving with laser power issue (Fiber Laser).

Software or Hardware? Rotary engraving with laser power issue (Fiber Laser).

First of all, at this time, I do not have access to this laser that has the problem. My information is coming via text messages from my father.

So my father has a 50 Watt fiber laser with a Raycus source. It was purchased from a US dealer that assembled it here with Chinese parts. I believe he is running EzCAD Version 2.14.9.

He has a job where he needs to put words on a wide ring. He has a rotary that was provided by the company he purchased his laser from, but it wasn't easy to use with rings, so he bought a different one with a better chuck designed for jewelry. The new rotary has a similar stepper but is a 1:1. The old rotary had a gear and a belt. He did not change any of the driver settings inside the machine and adjusted his EzCAD settings to match the new ratio. It seems to be just fine as far as movement, holding, etc.

Here is the problem: When he uses the rotary to mark a wide wring with words, the first few words seem to be only receiving a portion of the power he has requested the source to use. After the first few words, the laser appears to be doing an excellent job and firing at the requested power. Almost like it is ramping up power. It does it every time.

I asked him to try it flat and not use the rotary, and sure enough the same problem. But, I asked him to recreate it and do it flat. It works just fine. Then he changed the job to a rotary job, and "Boom" the problem comes back. If he moves it back to a flat job from the rotary, the problem is there again.

I assume that all this information is correct. If it is, I'm thinking of software. The company that sold him the laser said it was the rotary that they didn't sell him. They told him it was affecting the laser source. Logically, I can't make a case for this. He has not tried the job with his old rotary as the chuck is not easy to set up with the kind of part he is marking. I think that is his next step to prove the vendor right or wrong by using the old rotary.

I hope in the next couple of weeks to make a trip to see him so I can troubleshoot in person, but I tried to see what I could do here at my house.

I am running EzCAD 2.14.11 with a 30 Watt laser using a Raycus source. My rotary is one I added on with some parts laying around my place. I have looked at a lot of settings. I am not sure what plugin he is using for rotary, but the ones I have don't seem to have any parameters that would impact power. I have tried a bunch of things, and it all works well. He has not had a chance to send me his file.

He sent me a video of his marks on a copper fitting he is using as a test platform.

-----------------------------------------------
    CO2: Thunder Laser Nova 35 (80-Watt)
    Fiber: Ebay Special (30-Watt)
    CNC: Viper 24
    3D: MakerGear M3-ID, Wanhoo i3
    Main Software: Adobe Illustrator/Photoshop, V-Carve Pro, RD-Works, Simplify 3D, Lightburn, EZCAD 2.14.11

Looks like copper-? Copper is extremely finicky, and as to fiber lasers is one of the most reflective metals, if not thee most.

Before I'd look elsewhere for a problem, try some steel or aluminum rod of approx the same diameter and see if the problem repeats-

--and check focus distance at each extreme; on copper, 1/2mm out can be the difference from burn to zilch--
    ========================================
    ELEVEN - rotary cutter tool machines
    FOUR - CO2 lasers
    THREE- make that FOUR now - fiber lasers
    ONE - vinyl cutter
    CASmate, Corel, Gravostyle

OK, he sent me a better example video of what is going on. This time I asked him to mark a file on a flat surface that he knew was focused correctly.

It doesn't seem to matter what file now, using rotary or not. It takes a while to ramp up then the power is steady.

What do you think?
    Main Software: Adobe Illustrator/Photoshop, V-Carve Pro, RD-Works, Simplify 3D, Lightburn, EZCAD 2.14.11

Ok, so no mater what the file, or power settings, the laser now starts off like it’s not up to power level you have set , then at some point the power kicks in for the rest of the job at what you would expect.

does it do that with all materials? Just curious---

also-- what happens if you stop the engraving just as it gets going, then immediately restart? Does it repeat the slow start, or does it fire more normally? I'm wondering if it's software related...
    FOUR - CO2 lasers
    ONE - vinyl cutter

All materials exhibit the issue. I’ll try to get him to try the stop/start. Software was/is my thought. I built him up a desktop because the laptop that came with it was slow as molasses. I copied over the software from the laptop. I used it that day with no issues, and ran jobs that would have showcased this issue. I had wondered if somehow settings got changed or corrupted since that day. I had him hook the laptop back up and try, it and it exhibited the same issue. He’s in contact with the vendor, I’ll keep this thread updated when I find out more information.

My father's laser fixed itself for a day or so, then it's back to the same behavior. The job starts with very low power, then all of a sudden it has the power requested by the software. The power supply seems fine, no voltage drops, etc. According to my father, the vendor does not have any thoughts or ideas on the problem. If the power supply seems fine. A fresh install of the software with new files used for marking...what's left? Controller Board or Laser Source seems to be the only things in the mix right now. The vendor may step in and help, but if my father thought it was the controller board, he would by one. I just cant come up with a logical reason it could be the controller, my money is on the laser source. Anyone experience this before?

After running a myriad of computer controlled machinery since 1981, I've found one other truth to add to 'death and taxes':

Computer connections can and will go bad. This applies to virtually any male/female electrical connection/attachment, including IC chips. (ohh, the old days )

that said-- Shortly after getting my first fiber from Triumph, it started doing random goofyazz engraving--
    bd1.jpgbd2.jpgbd3.jpg

Triumph insisted it was the scanhead, and sent me a new one. But before I even contacted them, I pulled the covers off the machine, then started pulling, inspecting, cleaning and reconnecting every plug I could find. I inspected the soldering of the controller plugs, cut a solder goober off the main plug, and sprayed all connections, but otherwise did nothing to them. I use CRC electronics spray cleaners, red/white cans, most auto parts stores and Walmart has it. They have one version that you can spray on 'hot' electronics, I've even sprayed the stuff into running electric motors, great way to clean out the carbon dust!

Anyway, after I put it all back together it never messed up again. The new scanhead came about 2 weeks later, and it still has never messed up. Regardless, because it was doing goofy stuff rather regularly before I pulled connectors and never afterward, IMO there was an iffy connection that was repaired after my resetting connectors...

If you/your father is comfortable rooting thru the innards and unplugging connections, it's worth a try--
    Last edited by Kev Williams; 08-14-2019 at 7:25 PM.
    FOUR - CO2 lasers
    ONE - vinyl cutter

Good advice!