Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 18

Thread: cyclone vs. Jet vortex vs. Grizzly cyclone

  1. #1

    cyclone vs. Jet vortex vs. Grizzly cyclone

    I need a new dust collector and I am convinced I need a cyclone. I saw the new Grizzly units but they have virtually no YT reviews and the only videos I could find were complaint videos. I saw the vortex from Jet where they claim it provides better chip and dust separation into the bag instead of filter but still not a cyclone. However I can get this at 800 for the 2 HP vs. 1529 (on sale) for the 2HP cyclone variety. I like the benefits and idea of emptying a little can from a cyclone vs. a bag on the vortex but I don't want to pay double the cost. Am I missing anything?

    The Grizzly 2HP cyclone is same price as a vortex but I see there are quality control issues with Grizzly dust collectors from the very small sample size on YT.

    Thanks - Tom.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    Alberta
    Posts
    1,001
    Zero issues with my Grizzly GO 442 in about 5 years of use. Worst problem I have had was finding a local source for inexpensive bags for my collection drum.

  3. #3
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike Kees View Post
    Zero issues with my Grizzly GO 442 in about 5 years of use. Worst problem I have had was finding a local source for inexpensive bags for my collection drum.
    I think the OP is comparing the portable short cone cyclones. The G0442 is a 5HP beast with a long cone. I just bought one myself. Love it.

    These short cone models like the the 2HP G0861, the Jet JCDC-2 or the Laguna C|Flux: 2 are not in the same class both in price and performance as the Larger Griz or Oneida cyclones. He is comparing them to a 2 HP Jet Vortex bag style dust collector. In all honesty giving advice about what to choose requires more info on shop size, machines, etc.

  4. #4
    Thank you. I am going to just wheel it over to one of three machines, a cabinet table saw, 12 inch jointer planer and a 14 inch table saw, connecting and reconnecting when I go from machine to machine. I don’t see needing more than 16 foot flex 4 inch hose to each machine. Yes, 2 hp machines. I would get smaller but I have one circuit for all the 120 plugs but have an extra 240v plug for the d/c. If I get a 1 1/2 hp I would need to convert it to 240v because if I use d/c for 120v bandsaw I cant run at same time if both are 120v.
    Last edited by Tom Hassad; 08-04-2019 at 10:47 AM. Reason: Clarification

  5. #5
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom Hassad View Post
    Thank you. I am going to just wheel it over to one of three machines, a cabinet table saw, 12 inch jointer planer and a 14 inch table saw, connecting and reconnecting when I go from machine to machine. I don’t see needing more than 16 foot flex 4 inch hose to each machine. Yes, 2 hp machines. I would get smaller but I have one circuit for all the 120 plugs but have an extra 240v plug for the d/c. If I get a 1 1/2 hp I would need to convert it to 240v because if I use d/c for 120v bandsaw I cant run at same time if both are 120v.
    Until I purchased a 5HP cyclone to plumb the whole shop, I used an older version of this G0548 for 7 years moving it form machine to machine with 2 sections of 10' of semi rigid hose. I think it would be more than adequate for the machines you listed. https://www.grizzly.com/products/Gri...Series/G0548ZP

  6. #6
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    Alberta
    Posts
    1,001
    Tom ,what Tom says. I should have looked up the model you mentioned ,sorry about that.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    NW Arkansas
    Posts
    1,562
    Blog Entries
    1
    Tom, I'm kind of in same boat. I will most probably get the 861 220v grizzly model down the road a bit. But I'm going tovent to the outside with my old HF unit for a while longer. I'm cheap, it is working better now that I've debagged it and I am lazy also.
    Woodworking, Old Tools and Shooting
    Ray Fine RF-1390 Laser
    Ray Fine 20watt Fiber Laser
    PM2000, Delta BS, Delta sander, Powermatic 50 jointer,
    Powermatic100-12 planer, Rockwell 15-126 radial drill press
    Rockwell 46-450 lathe, and 2 Walker Turner RA1100 radial saws

    RIA 22TCM 1911s

  8. #8
    Thanks for the advice - If I go with the 861 I get the benefits of the cyclone but after tax and delivery and comparing it with the G0458 model I would be paying ~ 600 vs. ~1100 for the small cyclone. Right now the money factor and the fact I am doing this on weekends and not full time has me leaning to the single stage. Thanks.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Pasadino, CA
    Posts
    870

    Thumbs up

    Quote Originally Posted by John Lifer View Post
    Tom, I'm kind of in same boat. I will most probably get the 861 220v grizzly model down the road a bit. But I'm going tovent to the outside with my old HF unit for a while longer. I'm cheap, it is working better now that I've debagged it and I am lazy also.
    Venting Outside is Best Choice I've ever made for the shop

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Doylestown, PA
    Posts
    5,850
    If you're considering the Jet Vortex, I'd recommend a look at the Thien baffle. I built one and it helps a LOT keeping chips out of filters. Some fine dust like from a sander will still get by but I don't clean my filter anywhere near as often as before the baffle. If I were doing it again, I'd either use thinner material or at least round the ends of the slot to reduce turbulence.
    Attached Images Attached Images

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Silicon Valley, CA
    Posts
    711
    Quote Originally Posted by Curt Harms View Post
    If you're considering the Jet Vortex, I'd recommend a look at the Thien baffle. I built one and it helps a LOT keeping chips out of filters. Some fine dust like from a sander will still get by but I don't clean my filter anywhere near as often as before the baffle. If I were doing it again, I'd either use thinner material or at least round the ends of the slot to reduce turbulence.
    Does that help with the Vortex? I thought the idea was that collector had a similar separator built in to keep chips out of the filter. Does the thien baffle provide significantly better separation?

    Matt

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Manistique, Michigan
    Posts
    1,184
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike Hollingsworth View Post
    Venting Outside is Best Choice I've ever made for the shop
    You can vent outside in a warm climate. If I did that in my shop from October through April, I would blow the heat out of the shop in about 10 minutes with my 5 Hp Clearvue cyclone. However, I would blow it outside if I could.
    Rich Aldrich

    65 miles SE of Steve Schlumpf.

    "To a pessimist, the glass is half empty; to an optimist, the glass is half full; to an engineer, the glass is twice as big as it needs to be." Unknown author



  13. #13
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Doylestown, PA
    Posts
    5,850
    Quote Originally Posted by Matthew Hills View Post
    Does that help with the Vortex? I thought the idea was that collector had a similar separator built in to keep chips out of the filter. Does the thien baffle provide significantly better separation?

    Matt
    It sure seems to in my experience. A lot of people use a "top hat" design with the Thien baffle. I didn't want the extra can and associated (performance robbing) hose.

  14. #14
    I have now decided not to go with the Grizzly G0458 because I saw a YT video where the machine was emitting 93 db at the source and 86db just a few feet away. I rather pay more for something that does not scream. I need to look at the db ratings for the 861 and for the vortex. I wish I could get a 1.5hp unit like the baileigh cyclone but that is probably 1500 dollars and I need a 2HP model that is wired for 220v.

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Doylestown, PA
    Posts
    5,850
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom Hassad View Post
    .................................................. .....................
    I wish I could get a 1.5hp unit like the baileigh cyclone but that is probably 1500 dollars and I need a 2HP model that is wired for 220v.
    I would do some reading before buying one of the 'short cone' units. Conventional wisdom says a longer cone has considerably more efficient separation than short cone units. I guess though if you want a roll-around unit, short cone is the common (only?) choice.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •