Thread: A proud Grandpa!

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

A proud Grandpa!

Our oldest grandson enlisted in the US Navy 13 years ago. 3 years ago he made CPO. He's a aviation mechanic. This past Tuesday evening I flew out of Spokane and overnight arriving in Norfolk mid-morning Wednesday. I checked into the Hampton Inn, Naval Base. After a couple hours of sleep, our daughter and her husband picked me up and we drove to Virginia Beach where we met up with our grandson and family where they were staying for the week with some Navy friends. We had dinner and a few drinks. We returned to our motel that evening
    Thursday morning we drove on base and went to the focsle of the USS John C. Stennis where he was currently a crew member. There we witnessed the ceremony where several speakers spoke in his behalf and he received the Navy Commendation medal. Then I watched as two CPOs formally removed the chiefs anchors from his collar, removed his hat. Then his wife pinned one corner of his collar and his 9 year old son pinned the officer bars to the other corner of his collar as he was commissioned as a LDO, limited duty officer. We now have a Mustanger in our family. The motto of the Mustang Association, "Up from the ranks".

A few weeks ago, he sold his home in Port Orchard, WA and rented a home in Oak Harbor,WA. His new duty station will be as the aviation parts control officer for a new squadron forming up in Whidbey Island.

Jason is the 4th consecutive generation of our family to serve in the US Navy and this grandpa couldn't be prouder of his accomplishments!

I flew out early Friday morning, arriving home that evening, exhausted!
    Last edited by Ken Fitzgerald; 08-04-2019 at 2:32 PM.
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....