Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Table Saw Pulley Replacement

Question Table Saw Pulley Replacement

Hey community, first post on this site, hopefully I learn some stuff!

I was given a Delta-Rockwell 10" contractors table (34-444) saw from my grandfather. I've used it for the past year but it's so loud and vibrations are severe to the point I don't feel safe using it. I've recently replaced the arbor bearings, which helped a bit, but I believe my issue is in the pulley system. The pulleys aren't linear and the arbor pulley seems to be bent/warped. Near a full rotation, you can see it rise and fall quickly on the arbor.

I will include some pictures of the pulleys and belt. I'm looking to replace these with a newer pair, I've read about machined steel pulleys, can you purchase these for any table saw, or are the options limited? I can supply any and all photos.

IMG_20190801_181837.jpg

IMG_20190801_181826.jpg

IMG_20190801_181941.jpg

IMG_20190801_181936.jpg
    Last edited by Bennie Dempsey; 08-03-2019 at 8:34 PM. Reason: Update model

You need to know the OD of the pulley, ID bore size, and belt width. Armed with that the search is relatively easy. I'm guessing the bore to be 5/8" and the belt to be 1/2" width. Mcmaster Carr and Grainger are both good sources. Cast iron pulleys will be machined.

Bennie, welcome to the Creek. You're at the right spot for information and advice about woodworking machines.

You can purchase those sheaves from a supplier like McMaster-Carr or from any local industrial supplier like Motion Industries. You'll need to know the bore, O.D. and the groove size.

If you're not familiar with sheaves and how to size them you're better off with a local supplier where you can bring in the old ones and the supplier can measure them so you get the right size.

While you're at it I'd replace the belt too, with a link belt. Be sure to align the sheaves when you install them. Saw should purr after that.
    Confidence: The feeling you experience before you fully understand the situation

ID of the bore is 5/8".
    OD of the arbor pulley is 2-1/2".
    OD of the motor pulley is 3-1/16".
    Belt width is 1/2".

Would these be what I am looking for?

arbor pulley - https://www.grainger.com/category/po...&filters=attrs
    motor pulley - https://www.grainger.com/category/po...&filters=attrs
    belt - https://www.harborfreight.com/vibrat...RoC6xIQAvD_BwE

Been there. Pulleys might help, but I'll put money on the vibration coming from the belt. Try another belt, not an automotive one.

I have the same saw as you do. I bought a link belt and it made a difference. I'd try that first and see how much it improves. You can replace the pulleys next.

FYI, Harbor Freight sells a green link belt. In case you're interested, here's a short summary.

Fred
    Last edited by Frederick Skelly; 08-04-2019 at 9:42 AM.
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

“If you want to know what a man's like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals.”

Quote Originally Posted by Ronald Blue View Post
    I will try a new belt first, then if needed get new pulleys. I'll update when I find the solution. Thanks all!

Check ebay for good iron pulleys. If you are lucky you can find a bargain. Likely you will get one a fraction off on diameter. Not a big deal as long as the ratio is close. The driven pulley can go smaller but probably no bigger or it will hit the underside of the table.
    Bil lD.

On edit; I see several iron pulleys on ebay for about $10 each with shipping. For my Saw when I replaced the motor with a modern one with a smaller shaft I was able to buy a used taper lock inner portion with the new bore. That was installed with the old pulley with no problems. Saved trying to find a four row sheave of the correct diameter. I understand Delta is the only maker of that pulley with that groove spacing.
    Last edited by Bill Dufour; 08-04-2019 at 10:27 AM.

I went to harbor freight and purchased their accu-link belt. It runs quieter than with automotive belt, but there still is a huge rumble. I checked to see if the pulleys were correctly aligned, and they seem to be pretty close. Whoever actually used the saw before me seems to have put the arbor pulley on (backwards?) as there's a lot of scratch rings and a deep gouge. The arbor itself seems to run near perfect, but the arbor pulley spins as if it's hitting a bump, as well as when tightend, it has a minor play. I would believe that leads to purchasing a new arbor pulley.

With that being said, can I purchase just the one pulley, or are both recommended?

Surplus Center has pulleys for a reasonable price.
    Don

There shouldn't be play between the pulley, and the shaft. You definitely need to replace that one. If the other one runs true, I don't see any need to replace it. I've bought pulleys from Surplus Center too, and no problem with any of them.

In Line Industries makes kits for your saw which will have the correct pulleys. Any cast iron pulley will be a "turned" pulley. Browning is a well know brand. Check farm supply stores as they stock pulleys.

I purchased both a new arbor and motor pulley, i'll have to grind down the key for the motor pulley as it refuses to fit in the slot. Besides that, replacing the arbor pulley made it run very smooth. Between the link belt and pulley, there is no rumble or resistance, only a nice hum. Thank you guys so much! It's gonna be a busy weekend catching up on these projects!

Quote Originally Posted by Bennie Dempsey View Post
    I purchased both a new arbor and motor pulley, i'll have to grind down the key for the motor pulley as it refuses to fit in the slot. Besides that, replacing the arbor pulley made it run very smooth. Between the link belt and pulley, there is no rumble or resistance, only a nice hum. Thank you guys so much! It's gonna be a busy weekend catching up on these projects!
    Hey, that's great news! Glad to hear it!
    Look forward to seeing pictures of what you build.
    Fred
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

“If you want to know what a man's like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals.”