Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Paring Chisels

I have been using chisels from Luthiers Mercantile International, Inc. since the early '80s, and I like the feel, and the edge. Compared to other chisels I have, these hold an edge, and are very thin: https://www.lmii.com/47-chisels-gouges Tom

Gotcha. These are at least 10" blades.

Those are sweet.

Any special sharpening required?

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Matthews View Post
    Those are sweet.

Any special sharpening required?
    No, just any other chisel, but I don't hollow grind because the are fairly thin. But they are my most used chisels.

Which stones to hone?

Which stones to hone?
    I use a 1000 grit waterstone and then a natural Japanese stone that is very fine, and strop.

Blog Entries
    I have several chisels from this site. Try just one and see if you like it.

http://www.leevalley.com/us/wood/pag...?cat=1&p=41504

I predict you will like it.

Which stones to hone?
    My regular stones, nothing special. I have a medium and fine 3M diamond stones, a 1000 grit King waterstone, Arkansas White and black stones, a natural Japanese waterstone, and a Paul Sellers style strop, all of which has served me well for years. The LMI chisels hold an edge better than any of my other chisels, and they there does not seem to be any problem honing them.

Got my chisel made, decided not to opt for side bevels16.JPG

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Trees View Post
    Got my chisel made, decided not to opt for side bevels
    Man, that's neat. Let us know how she cuts!
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

“If you want to know what a man's like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals.”

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Beltran View Post
    I have been using chisels from Luthiers Mercantile International, Inc. since the early '80s, and I like the feel, and the edge. Compared to other chisels I have, these hold an edge, and are very thin: https://www.lmii.com/47-chisels-gouges Tom
    Look like nice tools. I notice their website says the bevel is 17-18*, which is paring angle. Do you keep yours at that angle Tom?
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

“If you want to know what a man's like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals.”