Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Collet Reducer?

Collet Reducer?

I have a bunch of 1/4" shank router bits, left over from when my only router had a 1/4" collet. I see that Rockler has a "collet reducer" for about $7, and I thought it might be a little simpler to use that in my table-mounted router than to switch collets when I want to use one of the 1/4" shank bits.

Anyone here have experience with a reducer - how well does it work? Is there any challenge around bottoming-out - i.e., do you have to keep the reducer from bottoming-out, as well as the bit?

Thanks.

My experience with collet reducers is mixed. Some work well and some are not precise enough, they induce a small amount of wobble which is terrible at routing speeds. I prefer to change collets and not use any type of reducer.

Switching collets takes just a few seconds, not sure what advantage is gained by using a reducer.
    Scott Vroom

I started with absolutely nothing. Now, thanks to years of hard work, careful planning, and perseverance, I find I still have most of it left.

Blog Entries
    I've used reducers generally with no problems. The single split ones work, but the multi-split type hold better. If you can get a dedicated collet and nut assembly it works best.
    Last edited by Lee Schierer; 08-03-2019 at 7:03 PM.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

I've had trouble with them slipping. A dedicated collet of the correct size has worked much better. In my Bosch and PC routers the changeover is trivial.

I have one of these that I use with a Muscle Chuck: https://www.amazon.com/Whiteside-Rou.../dp/B0012JG9QM
    The lip on the end makes it easy to remove when not needed.
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

Quote Originally Posted by scott vroom View Post
    Switching collets takes just a few seconds, not sure what advantage is gained by using a reducer.
    This. Change the collet.
    "Anything seems possible when you don't know what you're doing."

Thanks for the feedback, everybody. Guess I'll set this idea aside. If I ever come back to it, I'll keep the Whiteside in mind - unlike the Rockler, it has multiple splits, per Lee's suggestion, and the lip does​ seem like it would make it easier to remove.

Really, how much easier is it to use a reducer?

My first router was a Makita that had a 1/2'' collet and came with a reducer. I happily used it for years until I got my first Porter Cable router with two collets. The one I had from Makita had three slits in it.

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Page View Post
    I have one of these that I use with a Muscle Chuck: https://www.amazon.com/Whiteside-Rou.../dp/B0012JG9QM
    The lip on the end makes it easy to remove when not needed.
    Got a MuscleChuck too and was considering going with the Whiteside adapter over the MuscleChuck myself. MuscleChuck (LINK) wants over twice the price of the Whitesite 6400 (LINK). They are different designs but I was wondering if the MuscleChuck version actually added any benefit. Nice to read of someone confirming they have one and havent had issues with it.
    If at first you don't succeed, redefine success!

I used a collet reducer in the Ryobi R 500 router I used to have in my router table. It had a 1/2 inch collet and no 1/4 inch option. The reducer worked but it was so tight on the bit I had to tap them in and out. Definitely didn't save time versus changing the collet. The old Ryobi recently failed, back bearing was shot and something near it melted, so I bought a PC 7518 which works great. It came with a 1/2 inch collet but it uses the same collet as my PC 690s. I had a 1/4 solid carbide bit in it a couple days ago cutting stopped dados for some cabinet doors.

It's pretty much always preferable to use a properly sized collet over a larger collet with a reducer when that's an option. Less things to go wrong, better hold on the tooling, etc. As as has been noted, changing the collet adds only a few seconds, if any, to the process as it's a best practice to fully remove a collet when changing tooling so you can properly clean it before putting new tooling in place and tightening.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

One interface is always better than two. Unless you want a little slop.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
    It's pretty much always preferable to use a properly sized collet over a larger collet with a reducer when that's an option. Less things to go wrong, better hold on the tooling, etc. As as has been noted, changing the collet adds only a few seconds, if any, to the process as it's a best practice to fully remove a collet when changing tooling so you can properly clean it before putting new tooling in place and tightening.
    And if you have/use a MuscleChuck?
    If at first you don't succeed, redefine success!