Thread: What size micron paint strainer do you use?

What size micron paint strainer do you use?

Had a finishing project go sour last night when I started to spray the clear coat and when I went back to scuff sand, it had a bunch of black specks which were from the rust forming around the lid that I forgot to wipe during a previous project. I figured the 190 micron filters I got would be sufficient, but it appears they aren’t fine enough.

What size do you all use? And where do you get them? I see they have 125 micron on Amazon, but was thinking maybe to go finer. I plan on continuing to use the 190 micron for BIN Primer, but for the enduro white poly and enduro clear poly, I’m looking for something that gives me more piece of mind as I have a ton of work ahead of me now sanding these specks out of the finish.

I use the 190 micron also and have not had a problem. I get them from amazon-

TCP Global 250 Pack of Paint Strainers with Fine 190 Micron Filter Tips - Premium"PURE BLUE" Ultra-Flow Blue Nylon Mesh - Cone Paint Filter Screen https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01LW5IAO5..._b9mrDb7BHCW3R

Those are the exact same ones I use, but unfortunately all of this made it’s way through:

2EC38CD9-735A-40F9-A24F-69089C59C948.jpg

I posted this from my phone and see the picture in the text editor but when I post I’m not sure it’s accessible. If it doesn’t work I’ll do it from a computer here shortly.

Yikes, that’s not good. Maybe the lesson here is to toss the finish if the fan has rust! I like that the Target finish comes in a plastic can. Also, I fill my cup using an old turkey baster so I pull from the middle of the finish in the can.

That is absolutely brilliant. It's always such a nightmare putting on the spout on the edge, pouring, then cleaning everything off. I will definitely go down that path for the next can. I've already tossed the last of the can which was basically all that was left in the gun so not a large loss.

Still curious if others have chosen to go with any finer filters as a precaution. I'm definitely still considering it as I'm a security in depth kinda guy.

Debris is not your friend for sure and I'm with Robert...despite sometimes being harder to close, the plastic containers at least don't add to the fun.

BTW, in order to see photos here at SMC, you must be a Contributor. Please click on the Donate button up near the top of the page and gain Contributor status for $6 for a year.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

I use the 190 micron filter lids, too. I've found rust and other gunk on them, and I have to admit, I have found a couple of particles a few times in a sprayed finish but they weren't rust particles and I was never sure if they actually got through the filter lid or fell into the freshly sprayed finish off of me or my spray booth. Curiously, the worst problem I ever had was with TC's EM-9300 which comes in a plastic pail. Go figure.

You know, even the 120 micron filters aren't very fine. 100 grit sandpaper is made with 150 micron particles. The 120 micron filters should catch them, but it won't catch particles from 150 grit sandpaper. You do the best you can but there's no guarantee an odd particle or three won't end up in your otherwise perfectly sprayed finish.

John