Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456

Thread: plane sole grinding

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Trees View Post
    Take off the high spots first, colour in the sole and make sure to leave the edges until the very last...i.e
    Don't use an abrasive longer or wider than the plane is, otherwise you will make it convex if your lapping it
    on a surface plate.
    The ink is very helpful as it will tell you that your getting too close to the edges.
    You only need a few licks at the very end with full width/length abrasive, don't go too far as you will ruin all of your work.
    Don't follow any video instructions that won't demonstrate the test at the end with feelers.
    You won't find a video of lapping done correctly as far as I know, but maybe someday someone will do one.
    Oh, I hope not. :^) So many planes, so much suffering, it makes my head hurt. You're on the right track, but this is better done with a scraper. Here's a good one: google "Innovative Tools International SS-1 Super Scraper", if you want to go down that road. This is my current favorite for touching up machined surfaces. It's a pleasure to use. Have I ever used it on a plane? I haven't had to, they worked before and they work now.

Tom, I’ve tried to message you through here but I think I sent it wrong. I also have a #8 with a big hump, id also like to ask if you’d flatten it. If you don’t get the message I sent to your profile, please let me know how I can get this plane to you?

Someone also asked me about a jack plane and I lost it somehow. I do not know to contact a guess. I am not very good with computers or cell phones . It is not my generation. If it as sent as a personal massage I will get it. If you try to befriend me I just locked up and I do not know how to proceed.
    Tom

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike Cornwall View Post
    Tom, I’ve tried to message you through here but I think I sent it wrong. I also have a #8 with a big hump, id also like to ask if you’d flatten it. If you don’t get the message I sent to your profile, please let me know how I can get this plane to you?
    Mike, click on Tom's name at the top of his post. This should open a window with various choices. Click on Private Message and that should take you to a page to compose a private message to Tom.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Just made a wee video since I was wanting my no.8 for my workbench top.
    Not used to making videos, so you will have to cut me some slack on that.
    My dialogue could be structured a bit, and no I didn't mean to say I've knocked my no.51/2 off the bench,
    I meant to say... I've hit it off the edge of the bench a few times, whilst kneeling down to check timbers for flatness.

Had to make it only accessible through this link though, as it doesn't appear possible to make my channel invisible on mates subscription lists.
    Too close to home to be identified as a woodworker

I'll have to get some fresh abrasive to finish the plane off, but its working OK now.
    I could do a part three but it would be the same thing, and I can't prove that the method works without a precision straight edge or surface plate to demonstrate.

Tom

Here's part two.
    I wasn't able to post more than one video or link

Tom