Thread: Interesting souveneir

Blog Entries

Interesting souveneir

We recently spent 16 days in Italy touring the country. One of the street vendors was from South Africa and he was selling wooden baskets. He had several different ones, but this one caught my eye. We negotiated the price a bit and he tried to interest me in several more. I've seen similar baskets before, but never one with three compartments. He had some singles and doubles, but this was the only triple he had. He said the wood is teak.
    IMG_4116.jpgIMG_4117.jpgIMG_4118.jpg
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

That is way too cool, Lee. Thanks for sharing it.

Quote Originally Posted by Yonak Hawkins View Post
    That is way too cool, Lee. Thanks for sharing it.
    +1. That's pretty neat!
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

“If you want to know what a man's like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals.”

What ingenuity! I could use that in many activities. Thanks for sharing.
    Rustic? Well, no. That was not my intention!

I love it!
    Can you take it apart so we can see what makes it tic?
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Page View Post
    I love it!
    Can you take it apart so we can see what makes it tic?
    No, it would most likely be destroyed to try taking it apart. The trick is to make all the cuts on an angle so top surface on the outside of the spiral hits the inside of the next arc in the spiral near the bottom of the thickness. Here is a video on how it is done.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

Yeah, I was kidding. After I posted I Googled and saw some interesting videos. I might look into making a simpler design basket on my cnc. The one you bought is beautiful.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Page View Post
    Yeah, I was kidding. After I posted I Googled and saw some interesting videos. I might look into making a simpler design basket on my cnc. The one you bought is beautiful.
    I'm not sure a cnc could make the cuts fine enough and at the 5-6 degree angle. The work as I understand it has to use a pretty fine blade so the top and bottome edges will touch when the spiral is lifted, otherwise it just becomes a spring.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

A scroll saw is needed to cut the basket with the table set at a slight angle. The cnc would cut all the pretty carving.
    The scroll saw is one tool I've never owned other than a POJ Dremel 30 years ago.

Andy Rooney