Thread: HELP! Mirrored Acrylic Charring / Burning

HELP! Mirrored Acrylic Charring / Burning

Hello,

I have an Epilog Mini 40 watt machine. It has worked great however recently my clean cut lines have turned into charred burnt lines when cutting mirrored acrylic.
    I have attached a couple of reference photos, the mirrored side just looks burnt on the edges.

I have contacted Photo 1-8-19, 12 58 12 pm.jpgPhoto 23-7-19, 10 32 48 am.jpgmy local technician however he has no idea what could be causing this.

Blog Entries
    Are you cutting from the back? if so, it is probably the problem.
    Woodworking, Old Tools and Shooting
    Ray Fine RF-1390 Laser Ray Fine 20watt Fiber Laser
    SFX 50 Watt Fiber Laser
    PM2000, Delta BS, Delta sander, Powermatic 50 jointer,
    Powermatic 100-12 planer, Rockwell 15-126 radial drill press
    Rockwell 46-450 lathe, and 2 Walker Turner RA1100 radial saws
    Jet JWS18, bandsaw Carbide Create CNC, RIA 22TCM 1911s and others

How thick? I cut 1/4” at speed 8 on my 45 watt. For mirror acrylic, I apply transfer tape to the front, to prevent reflection and cut with it up. Nice clean cuts every time.

Sammamish, WA

Epilog Legend 24TT 45W, had a sign business for 17 years, now just doing laser work on the side.

"One only needs two tools in life: WD-40 to make things go, and duct tape to make them stop." G. Weilacher

"The handyman's secret weapon - Duct Tape" R. Green

Yes cutting from the back as the acrylic also needs to be etched. Was previously cutting fine so I now can't work out what changed.

The acrylic is 1/8" thick. Cutting using a 40watt machine using the following settings (I have however played around with all of these and tried different setting combinations):
    Speed:12%
    Power: 80%
    Freq.: 5000Hz

Are you using autofocus? My father had a similar issue with his Epilog Min 24 and it turned out that autofocus was not correctly focusing. He got it back working as some gunk had built up where it didn't belong.
    -----------------------------------------------
    CO2: Thunder Laser Nova 35 (80-Watt)
    Fiber: Ebay Special (30-Watt)
    CNC: Viper 24
    3D: MakerGear M3-ID, Wanhoo i3
    Main Software: Adobe Illustrator/Photoshop, V-Carve Pro, RD-Works, Simplify 3D, Lightburn, EZCAD 2.14.11

If it worked before and doesn't work so good now-- is the mirror from the same supplier? If so, chances are THEIR supplier has changed the mirror coating...

One thing I do in general when cutting plastics is to run a first, and sometimes second pass at low power to penetrate the surface slightly (.02"/.5mm), then whatever power is necessary to finish the cut. This leaves a much smoother top edge than cutting full thru in one pass, which overheats the entry of the cut leaving a raised 'mushroomed' edge. If you haven't already, try it. And note if the cut is flaring up or throwing sparks-
    ========================================
    ELEVEN - rotary cutter tool machines
    FOUR - CO2 lasers
    THREE- make that FOUR now - fiber lasers
    ONE - vinyl cutter
    CASmate, Corel, Gravostyle

Quote Originally Posted by Lina charbine View Post
    Yes cutting from the back as the acrylic also needs to be etched. Was previously cutting fine so I now can't work out what changed.

The acrylic is 1/8" thick. Cutting using a 40watt machine using the following settings (I have however played around with all of these and tried different setting combinations):
    Speed:12%
    Power: 80%
    Freq.: 5000Hz
    Try 100% power, maybe 16-20 speed. Thinking about what has changed, is your air assist psi the same? That’s one thing that can result in charring, when your pump is not blowing enough air.

Sammamish, WA

Epilog Legend 24TT 45W, had a sign business for 17 years, now just doing laser work on the side.

"One only needs two tools in life: WD-40 to make things go, and duct tape to make them stop." G. Weilacher

"The handyman's secret weapon - Duct Tape" R. Green