Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Panel saw, for a $1

That be a BIG Masonry bit....tossed into the trash, as it is un-safe to use...just a tease..
    Drill bit rehab, the after 2.JPGDrill bit rehab, the after 3.JPG
    they are all cleaned up,,,next will be...
    Drill bit rehab, clean up on aisle 1.JPG
    Me....

The stubby bits ? Tried one out...
    Drill bit rehab 3.JPG
    Goodell Pratt Co. brace...seemed to hold the bit well enough..
    Drill bit rehab, test drive 1.JPG
    Bit seemed to be sharp enough..
    Drill bit rehab, test drive 2.JPG
    May keep them around..
    Drill bit rehab, the after 1.JPG
    Bits are all cleaned up...sizes range from 4/16" to 20/16"....#4, #5, #6, #7, #8, #10, #12, #14, and that #20...
    Bates, irwins, P.S.&W., Fulton, MY-T-CO, Craftsman ( spade bit and a irwin made one)....need to get the box finished up, and stash these away, until called for...

Masonry bit, would not have guessed, but, it makes sense.

Those bits cleaned up well.

Saw's brass is cleaned up. Handle sanded LIGHTLY. Plate is cleaned up...too faint of an etch to read..
    Plate is now it the "hands" of Mr. Wentworth...got about 6" of teeth done...calling it a day...

So, Andrew...when are you planning on showing up?

had a party to go to...all dressed up...banned from the shop, until I get me work clothes back on...

Handle does have a coat or two of Amber Shellac on it...

Box is done, installed a 1/4" plywood floor in the box....install a handle on each end....trying to figure out a latch for the lid....Box has been loaded up....

Quote Originally Posted by steven c newman View Post
    had a party to go to...all dressed up...banned from the shop, until I get me work clothes back on...
    When I shot photos and videos for my in-laws 50th anniversary party, it was dictated to me that I would wear a fancy suit. I was the best dressed person there. I was also the only person rolling around on the floor to get the right shot. It was kind of nuts. Have not work the suit since.

Trying to save up, for West Liberty, OH....seems they have a Tractor Fest each Labor Day weekend....LOTS of old tool vendors....

Drill bit box is "handled"
    Drill bit box, done.JPG
    has a handle at both ends...as you will need them...
    Drill bit box, almost full.JPG
    Box has a 1/4" thick wood floor...May add some on the ends...
    This tool was in use, the other day..
    Saw rehab, saw file.JPG
    My saw file holder. And the vise..
    Saw rehab, saw vise.JPG
    Handle for the saw was given a coat of Amber Shellac, and the bolts have been shined up..
    Saw rehab, old teeth.JPG
    Can just see them, over the "old" teeth..
    Saw rehab, new teeth.JPG
    New teeth...may need a second run through....
    Garage, barn Sale, 3 Screwdrivers.JPG
    might rehab these 3, after the saw...
    Stay tuned...

Took Monday off from the shop....Tuesday the knee gets PT, again...will see how that goes, before I head to the shop....

Uncle Charles ( horse) is not a nice way to wake up, in the morning....

Have about 6" out of 24" of teeth filed...couple of which will need a second "hit"....and better light.

Right leg has "issues"....a skin infection....have it wrapped up, and the proper pills taken....will see how things go, by this Friday...

Need a new saw file. May start sharpening hand plane irons after that....some MIGHT need a touch up.....

Knee Rehab in a little bit...then see what the Boss wants to do...

Still have about 6" worth of teeth to reshape, but....
    Sheffield saw, shined up 1.JPG
    Starting to look a bit like a saw? Plate is 23-1/2" long.....

Ok..sharpening is on hold for a few days, until a new file gets here....

This morning...stopped at a few garage sales....kind of skimpy....spent a dollar bill. Got the ''treasure" home, and cleaned it all up...then outside for a couple photos...
    IMG_9197.jpg
    Seems to be marked as a BELKNAP or NAPMAKER No. 17.
    IMG_9196.jpg
    7 ppi, filed rip. never had a medallion bolt. 3 bolts, steel, never been plated. 26" length. Still trying to bring out the etch a bit better...

haven't sharpened it yet..test drive went great,,once a bit of wax was applied. Cuts fast, and straight...handle has about 3 coats of amber shellac.
    Stay tuned...

Steven, how will you bring out the etch? Cold blue?

Regards,

Stew

Upon further review....
    Crusader saw logo.jpg
    Have narrowed things down to a "CRUSADER" brand name, sold by Belknap....?

Black Sharpie, block of wood, 220 grit paper...hand sanding....
    Last edited by steven c newman; 08-17-2019 at 6:40 PM.

Steven, def check out some saw sharpening links. I would also buy some flat mill bastard files and use a block of wood to joint those teeth before just going at them with a saw file. This will enable you to get the tops of the teeth all at the same level so every tooth is doing work instead of just the random high teeth. I also use Dykem layout fluid to help me see when I reach the tip of the flat that I created with the flat file from jointing. A sharpie can serve the same purpose.

I would also highly recommend making a block of wood for the tip of the file to help you hold the proper rake angle. You basically drill a hole on a small piece of wood that the tip of the file will fit into and draw the rake angle tangent to the hole. Then you drive the file into that hole so that the face of the file that is doing the sharpening is parallel to this line. Now you just hold this piece of wood parallel to the bench (or floor) and this will enable you to maintain a consistent rake angle on the face of every tooth. There are jigs out there that serve the same purpose but I find using a piece of wood to work just as well. You can also use this same technique for crosscut saws and cut the fleam angle on the ends of this piece of wood. You just hold this piece of wood so that the angled ends are 90deg to your saw plate and hold that for the entire file stroke. You just have to be sure to change to a different piece of wood or rotate the file when you sharpen the other side of the crosscut teeth. It's hard to describe this little jig in words but there are lots of places you can find it. It really changed my saw sharpening consistency.

You also will need a saw set. A well set saw for its intended purpose is a thing of beauty.

Last bit of advise is to get yourself a magnifier headstrap. This thing has paid for itself over and over in my shop!!

Here's a link to great resource on saw sharpening. There are countless tutorials out there for sharpening handsaws. They are a little tricky to get the hang of but once you use a very well sharpened saw compared to an iffy sharpening job you will never want to let your saws get dull. Once you get the teeth reshaped and set properly, maintaining this tooth geometry with just some small touch ups goes really quickly. It's just like setting up new chisels or plane blades, once you get the back of them flat your will just need to concentrate on maintaining your bevel angle.

http://www.blackburntools.com/articl...try/index.html
    Last edited by Tony Shea; 08-17-2019 at 7:26 PM.