Thread: White residue on router bases

White residue on router bases

I recently took out my router from my shop drawer after a few months of not using it. When I took out my router bases they were covered with this white residue. I accidentally touched it and my arm immediately broke out in an ugly rash. (rash went away shortly after washing up) Has this happened to anyone? Does anyone know what it is and how to prevent it?
    Thanks
    Attached Images Attached Images

Blog Entries
    Wow, that's a new one. How much humidity do you have?

Do you remember what you routed last? It looks like it might be the debris from whatever was routed.

Blog Entries
    That looks like some kind of crystalline growth resulting from a reaction between some chemical & the aluminum, maybe exacerbated by high humidity.

That looks like aluminum oxide to me and if I interpret the pictures correctly, it is only on the machined surfaces of the base. The rest of the surface of the aluminum base is anodized, protecting the surface.
    My guess!,
    Cheers,

Tim

Man, where do you live? Atlantis?

Only place I have seen aluminum corrosion like this was outdrive parts on old boats.
    Rick Potter

DIY journeyman,
    FWW wannabe.
    AKA Village Idiot.

I've seen something that looked like that. It was Aluminum Chloride. The little whiskers grow when there's high humidity and a little bit of Chlorine in the air. Did you have a source of Chlorine stored nearby? Pool chemicals, mortar cleaner, and some toilet bowel cleaners all contain Hydrochloric Acid, (aka Muriatic Acid). Bleach and the many household cleaners containing it will also put some Chlorine in the air. If you have enough humidity (especially if you sometimes get condensation) and any of those chemicals stored in the same cabinet with your tools there could be a problem. Copper is also vulnerable, it turns Green rather than growing whiskers.
    Beranek's Law:

It has been remarked that if one selects his own components, builds his own enclosure, and is convinced he has made a wise choice of design, then his own loudspeaker sounds better to him than does anyone else's loudspeaker. In this case, the frequency response of the loudspeaker seems to play only a minor part in forming a person's opinion.
    L.L. Beranek, Acoustics (McGraw-Hill, New York, 1954), p.208.

Wow! Yet ANOTHER reason I am thankful I don't live in a high humidity area! I never hear anything but complaints about those areas effecting all areas of life!
    If at first you don't succeed, redefine success!

That is wild, and if David's theory prove to be correct, then hes freaking Sherlock Holmes.

Touching it gave you a chemical burn?

Since we do not know where in the world you are can you give is a hint about your climate? It looks like "tin pest" to me caused by a cool damp climate. If it is below -40 in your shop It will happen in months not years.
    Bill D
    Last edited by Bill Dufour; 08-02-2019 at 12:59 PM.

It reminds me of the "cancer" corrosion that sometimes gets into magnesium, but it's not magnesium, is it? It's aluminum, right?

I doubt the base is pure aluminum. it is probably pot metal with more then enough tin and zinc to get tin disease.