Thread: Digitizing a mirror decor diagram and cutting the parts

Digitizing a mirror decor diagram and cutting the parts

using a full sized diagram I traced all the parts on a mirror arched frame and created *.dxf files

and created toolpaths to cut on a cnc including the mirror panels
    This shows digitizing the plan and getting
    a perfect fit on the frames
    Also shows the glass fitting right on

https://youtu.be/7QpxEBz4jMA mirror decor
    Attached Images Attached Images

What are the mirror panels made from? I looks like some sort of aluminum.
    David

Nice job Stan, thanks for sharing.

David it looks like Stan used acrylic mirror to me. I purchase both silver and gold acrylic mirror from a local company on occasion, its great material for a variety of projects.

Quote Originally Posted by Keith Outten View Post
    Nice job Stan, thanks for sharing.

David it looks like Stan used acrylic mirror to me. I purchase both silver and gold acrylic mirror from a local company on occasion, its great material for a variety of projects.
    Thanks Keith,
    That is good to know for future reference.
    David

Keith is right, I purchased a 4x8x1/4 sheet of mirror acrylic very expensive material but very good quality and it cut very good

It only takes a little bit of imagination to come up with some stunning projects using acrylic mirror. I normally purchase 1/8" thick acrylic mirror for projects in my shop. You can easily laser engrave the back side and then paint the engraved areas to get some very interesting plaques, signs and custom mirrors. Multiple colors, just mask and paint each area to suit the project or use a brush. I also have used acrylic mirror for inlays and decorations for both Corian and wood signs. Several years I have used acrylic mirror for my custom Christmas ornaments I make for family and friends.

Although I have never done it you can also CNC route acrylic mirror if you don't have a laser engraver. Either process opens up endless possibilities for projects that would not be possible with glass mirror.
    Last edited by Keith Outten; 08-06-2019 at 9:00 AM. Reason: sp

I appreciate all the info, I will be looking around to use the rest of the sheet

Quote Originally Posted by Keith Outten View Post
    It only takes a little bit of imagination to come up with some stunning projects using acrylic mirror. I normally purchase 1/8" thick acrylic mirror for project in my shop. You can easily lase engrave the back side removing the mirror and then paint the engraved areas to get some very interesting plaques, signs and custom mirrors. Multiple colors, just mask and paint each area to suit the project. I also have used acrylic mirror for inlays and decorations for both Corian and wood signs. Several years I have used acrylic mirror for my custom Christmas ornaments I make for family and friends.

Although I have never done it you can also CNC route acrylic mirror if you don't have a laser engraver. Either process opens up endless possibilities for projects that would not be possible with glass mirror.
    Hi Keith,
    Thanks for all the additional information. You have definitely given me some ideas for family gifts for the coming holidays.
    David