Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: The Hall of the Mountain King

The Hall of the Mountain King

My dream shop is beginning to become a real shop. We have a contract and schedule for delivery of the timber frame structure. The builder has permits for the utilities. He has begun clearing the lot. We should have the stakes in the ground today to mark the house and septic field. This is exciting.

Here is a picture of the first scratching around of the bulldozer. This is the official ground breaking I suppose. There was no photo ceremony with dignitaries and gold shovels and hard hats. The lot is a 2.5 acre off-water lot near our lake house on Norris Lake in Tennessee. It is steep, about 25% grade, but not as steep as the lake lot.

IMG_1649.jpg

Here is the plan view of the main floor. I have sort of a living room/dining room so we can use this as a overflow when all the daughters and their families are at the lake together. There is a loft above the living area for a future bedroom. We made the building 1200 sq ft to comply with covenants for the development. We are making sure that a future owner can easily convert this to a small house or a guest house and garage for a larger main house.

MainFloor.png

Here is a 3D view from the plans of the shop interior. The room is 25'x34'. It is so grand. I just hum In the Hall of the Mountain King every time I look at this view. I also have a full basement with a garage door. The finishing room, wood rack, and dust collector will probably go there along with storage of the water toys during the winter. I can park my truck in basement when we are not at the lake house. The living area is the room in the back of the view with the unfinished loft above.

ShopInterior.jpg
    Lots of work to do. The onsite construction schedule is trying to keep up with the timber framer. We are scheduled for May delivery of the timbers. It seems to all be going faster than I expected.
    Last edited by Thomas Wilson; 03-29-2019 at 10:33 AM. Reason: Fix pictures

Congratulations Thomas on the new shop! Please keep the photos coming as the progress continues!
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

Blog Entries
    That is a gorgeous space, and a perfect size for a shop. Very nice design. I would take just the shop area without the basement or extra room and be happy- wow. That's a really sweet space.

Thanks, Ken and Malcolm.

That really is going to be a wonderful space, both for your intended purpose and for whatever a future owner decides to do, well...in the future.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

That space is going to be fantastic. And to think I was happy with a basic 24' x 24' pole building type structure when we moved to this home. Keep the pictures coming.

Thanks Lisa. The construction is moving very fast. We should have the basement excavation and footings this week.

Good luck Thomas. My advice would be to remember its fun and to maintain your sense of humor and appreciation.

The Fun Part

Quote Originally Posted by Jon Snider View Post
    Good luck Thomas. My advice would be to remember its fun and to maintain your sense of humor and appreciation.
    Thanks Jon. It will be fun because we are working with some really good people both skillful and nice. The general contractor has done several really difficult projects at my lake house over the last 16 years. This project is more the kind of work he likes. I consider him a good friend too. I think he is enjoying this one.

The timber frame people are good too. They framed a “party barn” for my wife’s sister. It is turning out great.

TW

Some timber framing underway. Here is a link to an Instagram album showing some scissor trusses being fitted. These are for the front porch.
    https://www.instagram.com/p/BvlulsYAEkW/

Thomas, 'glad things are moving along. Those scissor trusses look very nice.

Please do post the photos here at SMC, however, so they stay with the thread. Some folks can't or don't access social media, too.
    --

I will have to figure out how to do that.

Quote Originally Posted by Thomas Wilson View Post
    I will have to figure out how to do that.
    http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthre...-Images-Inline
    --

Love the trusses. Wish I’d done something like that.

The scissor trusses will be used in the entranceway. They are an an architectural feature that echoes the scissor truss in the main room but the covered entranceway is also functional to protect the door and door threshold from rain. The driveway passes behind the house and is higher than the house because of the grade. This makes it possible to have an elevated ramp from the driveway straight into the main level without any steps to wheel goods and tools. The porch pad will be a few inches below floor level and will have a small elevated area of concrete that ramps up to the threshold. It will just be a bump to wheel things over the threshold to get into the shop. No steps. The entrance roof keeps rain from spattering on the door and threshold.

Here is the entrance. This entrance faces toward the driveway away from the street. Not much of an effect on curb appeal because the shop is 300' from the street way up a hill maybe 75' above street level. You can't see it is there unless you come up the driveway. The screened porch is on the street side.

EntranceView.jpg