Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Who makes a good bandsaw blade?

Who makes a good bandsaw blade?

Who's the "go to" for resaw blades? The 3/4 blade that came on my new Rikon leaves much to be desired. It cuts OK but is really loud. I think it took a set in shipping. The weld is pretty bad too. It makes the saw sound like a threshing machine even after lots of tweaking. I put on a 3/8" Olsen and it's quiet as a mouse by comparison.
    Sharp solves all manner of problems.

People mention spotty QC on Timberwolf blades but I always had really good results with them. If you want a Lenox blade, bandsawblades-direct-dot-com is a good vendor. Best of luck,

Erik
    Ex-SCM and Felder rep

Rob look in the forum sticky threads at top of page. There is a thread by Van Huskey on bandsaw blades that will tell you everything you will ever need to know on this subject.

Going to follow up to Erik's comment and side on the side of Lenox blades. They've all I've been recommended and all I have recommended to clients. Have not heard a single negative thing about them. I've also heard that Laguna makes a solid band saw blade as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Rob Luter View Post
    Who's the "go to" for resaw blades? The 3/4 blade that came on my new Rikon leaves much to be desired. It cuts OK but is really loud. I think it took a set in shipping. The weld is pretty bad too. It makes the saw sound like a threshing machine even after lots of tweaking. I put on a 3/8" Olsen and it's quiet as a mouse by comparison.
    I use Lenox blades on my 18" Rikon, usually 1/2" flexback at 3tpi and 4tpi, plus carbide 3tpi. I use the saw primarily for processing green log sections up to 12"' thick and for cutting turning blanks - a blade with more teeth per inch would be better (smoother cut) for thinner work. A local bandsaw blade shop makes the standard blades to order at good prices.

You can often smooth a weld with a Dremel using a stone or a small sanding drum. But the blades that came with my two wood cutting bandsaws seemed cheap.

JKJ
    Last edited by John K Jordan; 08-01-2019 at 10:31 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Kees View Post
    Rob look in the forum sticky threads at top of page. There is a thread by Van Huskey on bandsaw blades that will tell you everything you will ever need to know on this subject.
    Here's the link to that thread
    https://sawmillcreek.org/showthread....andsaw-blades!

I like the the Highland woodslicer 3/4”. Works great for me.
    Some Blue Tools
    Some Yellow Tools
    A Grizzly Collection
    ShapeokoXL
    Blue and White 50 Watt

Thanks all for the suggestions.
    Sharp solves all manner of problems.

I'll also give praise to Lenox. But they're no match for a nail......be careful what you cut!

10. I have flip flopped a lot on what I like. I in the past have become infatuated by how nice a new blade of a particular brand worked vs another and then realized it didn't last well enough to justify it's cost. Then I fell out of love with it.

Lately I have been torn between using fairly low end Olson blades and replacing them often and using a bit higher ned blade and using it longer. The higher end blades I have been using are re-saw blades from Highland and Infinity. Neither is super expensive and both are pretty good blades. Based on my most recent results I lean towards Highland.

I used to really like the Timberwolf blades, but I realized that I went through way more blades even if I used them until they were pretty bad.

Starrett makes blades under the "woodpecker" name and some use their "carcass cutter" blades for wood not meat.
    Bill D

I've had good luck with Lennox.

Lenox is all I use for any style bandsaw blade. Very nice blades.
    If at first you don't succeed, redefine success!

Blog Entries
    Lennox user here. I like the diemaster 2 for a smaller width bimetal and the woodmastet ct for ripping/resawing.

For resewing purposes try the Woodslicer from Highland Hardware. I use Starrett blades on my Laguna LT18 and the smaller Rikon, and they cut like a hot knife through butter. Olson also makes a good quality blade, although I have never use them.