Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Fleas!

Fleas!

I have them Bad this year in San Diego, out in the yard and even in my shop!

I've been using triazicide spray https://tinyurl.com/y3guvck9 but it isn't working especially in the shop which I've sprayed three times!

what's a good product?? I and my poor dog will thank you!
    WoodsShop

Blog Entries
    For your dog either the Soresto collar or the Frontline plus drops. We haven't seen a flea on our dog in 11 years since we started using Frontline Plus and now Soresto. He is the likely culprit fro bringing them into your house and shop. You can spray your clothing for outside wear with permethrin spray to keep them off of you.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

Thanks Lee! How about outdoor flea control? Flees must die!
    WoodsShop

To break the cycle, you must kill off the adults who lay the eggs. In your shop, try the light over a pan of soapy water. Fleas are attracted to the light, jump up towards it and land in pan of soapy water. You can also use a pan of "stale beer," if you should happen to find some. Kills them every time. Amazing how well this works, but you need to treat the dog for fleas before they come into the shop

I think I'll try that in the shop tonite!
    WoodsShop

We live on a farm and sometimes, despite the flea meds and bathes, the fleas got established in the house. We flea bombed. Vacuumed everything up, put all foods away, closed the windows, turned off all pilot lights and bombed the house with aerosol flea bombs. One per large room. Usually had to repeat in a week to ten days.

There are now pills for dogs that kill everything on the them within 20 minutes. Vet RX required.

I once visited a shop of a guy that built long rifles. There was inches on shavings and chips on the floor and cats roaming in and out because there was no door on his shop. The fleas were so bad on my pants and shoes, that I took the shoes, socks and pants off before I got in the car. Placed the articles in a plastic bag and drove home in my boxers. There was no way I wanted to take a chance of infesting the house with a new born daughter. I put the plastic bag of clothes in the freezer for two days to kill the fleas. Even then I did not open the bag until I had it outside. It looked like a black powder in the bottom of the bag from all the dead fleas. I hate them.

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Wrenn View Post
    TYou can also use a pan of "stale beer," if you should happen to find some.
    Inside or outside the dog?

(See how long it lasts on the outside. ;^)

Any vet can give you what you need to fix this.

The water pan works indoors. Years ago I used a dinner plate with a dash of salt added to the water, set on the floor, no light.

JKJ

Why the salt John? Dinner plates are a good idea!
    WoodsShop

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Wood View Post
    Why the salt John? Dinner plates are a good idea!
    Because someone told me to use salt.

I didn't try experiments with various solutions and controls. The plates were white if that's significant.

These days we have two indoor/outdoor cats and nary a flea. On the advice of a vet friend we use Advantage Multi. The treatment is once a month but I find once every 6 weeks works too and is cheaper.

JKJ

Yeah, you gotta get the poochie treated first. Like Lee, we also use Frontline.

I wish I could tell you a product to get them out of your shop, but it's been so long since I had to flea bomb a house,or spray a lawn, I'm sure all of those products have been banned since I used them.
    When we bought our house we did not know how bad the fleas were, until we started moving boxes into the house. We were getting torn up within an hour!!! I remember buying 36 "flea bombs" from Agway. We let off two in each room and repeated it twice more over the next 2 weeks. Ripped out all of the carpeting and did it one more time, before we actually moved any of our things in.

I have used the ECO Smart Organic spray insect killers in the horse barn with great success for flies, but I don't know about their tick spray. These are powerful essential oil sprays that are "safe" for indoor use
    Last edited by Mike Cutler; 08-02-2019 at 6:08 AM.
    "The first thing you need to know, will likely be the last thing you learn." (Unknown)

I went with Demon Max!
    https://www.domyown.com/demon-max-p-3553.html

a customer who's a long time agricultural pest control biz recommended it to me but it's not for sale in Cali ..
    My order says On The Way! but we'll see!
    WoodsShop

So it arrived and I sprayed .. fleas are dead! This Demon Max is a residual that lasts 30 to 60 days and effects all stages of the insects life cycle including the eggs. Affects nerve receptors that mammals don’t have.

I am happy and so is Keiko!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    WoodsShop

Oh the fleas! Hate them. For dogs need a special collar. But for you... Most likely you need to call the service.

Years ago I was shopping for a house. I went into one (empty) house with a real estate agent and the fleas were all over my legs. They were in the rug. I didn't stay long looking at that place.

Pretty disgusting.

Mike
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.