Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Fleas!

For the flea control on the dogs, we have switched to getting our meds from Canadian Vet Express. The typical over the counter stuff (Serestro collars, the drops, etc). We switched to getting some Nextguard chewables from Canada (the vet actually suggested them). Not only were they less expensive, but very effective.

Blog Entries
    We have two very small dogs. Both are poodle mixes and neither have body oils. The good news is that there is no dog stink when you hold or pet them. The bad news is that their coats are worthless in the rain.

But, for our dogs, the Frontline drops didn't work. Frontline is an oil that mixes with the dogs natural oils to disburse. Our dogs, having no oils, didn't properly disburse the Frontline and the fleas had a feast. Our vet converted the dogs to an oral medication that lasts 90 days. Now we have two four-legged bug bombs running around. If there are fleas in the yard and they jump on the dogs, they die within 45 minutes. Fleas don't make it into the house. We haven't seen a flea in years.

I think we started out with Comfortis which is for heartworm and fleas. But then we moved to the east coast and they take something that includes tick protection. I forget what it is. Just consult your vet.

This stuff isn't cheap but boy, does it work.

Quote Originally Posted by Roger Feeley View Post
    We have two very small dogs. Both are poodle mixes and neither have body oils. The good news is that there is no dog stink when you hold or pet them. The bad news is that their coats are worthless in the rain.

But, for our dogs, the Frontline drops didn't work. Frontline is an oil that mixes with the dogs natural oils to disburse. Our dogs, having no oils, didn't properly disburse the Frontline and the fleas had a feast. Our vet converted the dogs to an oral medication that lasts 90 days. Now we have two four-legged bug bombs running around. If there are fleas in the yard and they jump on the dogs, they die within 45 minutes. Fleas don't make it into the house. We haven't seen a flea in years.

I think we started out with Comfortis which is for heartworm and fleas. But then we moved to the east coast and they take something that includes tick protection. I forget what it is. Just consult your vet.

This stuff isn't cheap but boy, does it work.

The key is to kill off the adult population, and then kill successive populations that hatch from their eggs. A typical population consists of about 50% eggs, 35% pupae, 10% larvae and 5% adults. So each of these successive stages of development must be killed as they mature. The eggs and pupae are hard to kill, so the killing is mostly limited to the adults and larvae. Whatever the treatment, it should be repeated at intervals of not more than 2 weeks. Unfortunately, today's insecticides break down much more quickly that those if yesteryear (which is why I bought all the Dursban I could find when I heard it was banned 25 years ago - I still have 1 quart), so successive applications are necessary. Treatment of lawns in an absolute necessity.