Thread: Guitar equipment, machinery, wood, etc.

Guitar equipment, machinery, wood, etc.

I just received a pop-up message that Peavey is selling off old equipment, machinery, amps, wood, etc. that it no longer needs or uses. I thought some might be interested to know that. For a detailed list of available items, go to www.cagp.com.

Mikey Green,

Thanks! I'm going to bid on the Lot #227, the 10 pallets of assorted speakers as I'd like to make a pair of bookshelf speakers for the spare bedroom.

Actually, there is a pile of interesting stuff, though only a large retailer could absorb it.

Apparently, Peavey is, very glad to say still strong, but, very sad to say, moving it's manufacturing to China.

I have a piece of Peavey gear, that I really like, a VMP-2 all tube microphone preamplifier, which has a tube EQ, which I've fitted with some nice NOS tubes- 50's military triple mica, black plate Sylvania's: 6X 12AX7's and 2X 12AT7's. I call them the "Bing Crosby Edition" tubes.

Peavey could do well to reissue the VMP 2; old ones are worth more than they cost new:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Peavey-Elec...kAAOSw2x1dE8wR

Alan
    Last edited by Alan Caro; 07-31-2019 at 8:32 PM.

I may have misled those of you who might have read this post. There are 441 lots total. While the initial notice I received indicated included machinery and wood for guitars, I've now glanced over the titles for each lot and didn't notice any machinery in the lots displayed. I didn't notice stacks of lumber either. I'm not saying there might not be any, but rather I didn't see any shown in the photos. There are some complete guitars, acoustic, bass and electric, and even some drum parts. There are also batches of guitar and amplifier parts.

Since I mainly play classical guitar, I'm not up-to-date on the current quality of Peavey stuff compared to when it was a newer company. I'm in Mississippi and Peavey is about 90 miles away. In the 60's, 70's and 80's, most of the local groups had at least Peavey amps and boards.

I've just read that their stuff isn't the same as it used to be so maybe I made a big deal about nothing. If so, please excuse my ignorance. If interested, go for it with the understanding you're getting this info from someone who never knew much about electronics and knew little about their instruments even, though I understand at one time they made a decent guitar for the money.

Mikey Green,

For those interested in the wide world of manufactured instrument making and the business of selling it, the Peavey auction is still interesting, even if it's only an overview of the amazing range of Peavey products.

A scan through showed very few lots that an individual would pursue; how many people need 3, 5, or 15 of the same guitar or 10X 32-channel mixers? I expect large retailers such as Guitar Center, Musicians Friend, Sweetwater, et al will swoop it up and there will be some bargains.

I'm a sort of accidental Peavey owner anyway. I bought the VMP-2 mic pre to record harpsichord, clavichord, piano, and classical guitar. It has a quite colored sound= warm and a bit rolled off, but it really does take the zizzy bite out of home studio digital. The build quality is moderately good, it was 1/3 the cost of pro all-tube mic pres, and I quite like the '40's industrial styling.

Thanks for posting.

Alan

Alan, I grew up in a musical family. We'd have regular get-togethers, which would be called guitar pulls except for the fact my two sisters were pretty unique pianists and they'd also play along. I have a cousin that's in the music industry in Nashville, and has written and toured with some of the bigger names in the Country-Western business. He was my inspiration for learning to play the guitar. He knew Hartley Peavey personally and in fact, named his daughter after Hartley's wife, although the spelling was different (I think). He used Peavey and Fender amps back in the old days (I'm talking 70's through the 90's, not sure what all he uses now). I took lessons from Doris Day's retired guitarist, who retired in Laurel, MS, about an hour's drive from Meridian, MS, where Peavey was located. However, I didn't play electric guitar as a rule. I concentrated more on classical guitar. At that time, if electric classicals were even being made, they were rare, so I didn't regularly use an amp. Living in Mississippi, they were pretty well-known in the state and many bands used Peavey equipment, as well as churches using them for their sound systems.

As I indicated above, I didn't know that the quality of their stuff has allegedly diminished over the years. I now have an electric classical, and use a Vox amp or a small practice Peavey amp when I play amped. BUT, I wouldn't have any qualms about using another Peavey amp if I needed another one. I'm not a collector so I don't usually look to purchase equipment just for the fun of it. If I had more money just lying around, that would be another story!!