Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Getting Started and tooling

Blog Entries
    Personally, I think the three foundation machine tools of a woodworker are a table saw, a jointer, and a planer. Those are the machines that are the most used and have the greatest impact on the quality of your work, so invest for the long-term in those three tools.

Mike

If you decide that you are serious about woodworking buy the best equipment that you can afford - whether it's a table saw or a clamp. This approach will minimize your repurchasing better equipment.

Steve just reread your first post. You will not have to upgrade stuff later if you buy the right used tools the first time. For a table saw I will echo most of the posts here and say go straight to a Unisaw ,Powermatic etc cabinet saw and good fence .Think Biesmeyer or Unifence. For a planer a good choice is a 15'' four post with 3h.p. motor. Also nice to have one with the motor on the bottom to make changing knives easier.Pick a brand ,they are all very comparable. To me these are the two things you need the most right now. Good Luck. Mike.

Hey guys, Checking back in. I've taken some of the great advice offered here and with a little luck found this deal. A elderly gentleman was selling his Delta Unisaw Platinum Edition that was gently used. When I arrived, he started grabbing stuff from around the shop and ended up coming away with all of these tools.

IMG_3762.jpgIMG_3763.jpg

I realize that most of the items are not pro grade...but the I got the whole lot for 7 bills.

Overall, I feel pretty good with the deal and it will allow to me get going and see what I'd like to upgrade later.

Thanks again for the advice/opinions

Steve

Dang Dude! You really did score on a sweet setup! Great saw, great fence, great price. Glad you took the advice to heart and set your sights higher. Believe me, you won't regret it and you'll be set for many years. I'm happy for you.

Steve ,now at least you get why I like to buy used. That is a great looking saw you will not regret that. Definitely a very good deal. The routers are just icing on the cake,well done.