Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Getting Started and tooling

Getting Started and tooling

Folks,

I've been an Electrical Contractor for over 20 years and recently chose to start woodworking as a hobby. My intentions are to build cabinets, furniture, and etc. I currently have a 80's Craftsman ts with a really crappy stock fence, a Grizzly G0555LX bs, Rigid JP0610 jointer, Grizzly dust collector, a 90s vintage craftsman circular saw, Craftsman router, a belt/disc sander combo, Rigid miter saw, and a bunch of Milwaukee cordless tools.

I am trying to decide between upgrading the fence on my ts...or replace the saw with something better (used) in the 5-600 range...and/or I found a next to new Kreg ACS system for a pretty good price.

One of the ts saws I found is a Delta 36-714 for 500.00 with a beis. 30" fence. It seems to have mixed reviews.

I value quality tools over price and don't mind buying used and then upgrading later.

Can you guys offer up some opinions or experience?

Steve

Welcome!

It looks you already have some tools. My suggestion is to take a project and go ahead and in the process you will find your biggest needs and current major limitations. What about to try a simple cabinet?
    Last edited by Osvaldo Cristo; 07-31-2019 at 3:59 PM.
    All the best.

Osvaldo.

Steve ,many many moons ago my first t.s. was a Craftsman. I upgraded the motor and was looking at fences. Fortunately I found a Delta contractor saw with a Unifence used and bought it. Everything on that saw was way better than what I had with the Craftsman. I would advise upgrading the saw and the fence, instead of just the fence.

Where do you live? I need to sell my unisaw with unifence to make room for a delta 12/14 tablesaw.
    Bill D

Welcome Steve! Glad to have you join us!

The crappy fence was the reason I quickly dumped my 1st TS. If the fence stinks, your work wont be as good as it could be. You might find a used quality fence - check your local paper or online listings. If not, you will get more bang for the buck with a used saw in the price range you mention. You will get a wide range of opinions here on WHICH saw to buy. I bought a used Delta Contractor with a 52" Biesemeyer for $400. I build the same things as you describe, and I have never felt I needed a different saw. But if you can reach a little further, a used Unisaw would be a lifetime purchase.

Other ways to do the same things? I also have a tracksaw and a miter saw. You can use a tracksaw for ripping, but narrow boards would make me nervous (personally). You can also use your bandsaw, if it's a narrow-enough board. But in my mind, the TS with a good fence is a foundational tool - unless you want to go the hand tool route. It does nearly anything.

Look forward to seeing pics of your work!
    Fred
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

“If you want to know what a man's like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals.”

Steve,

Frederick really nailed the answer. I too dumped my first table saw and it was a game changer. I fought the crummy fence on an old contractor saw and once I upgraded, I was able to get consistent accurate cuts. I don't have personal experience with the 36-714. I think you'll find a number of good used saws. If you can stretch it, look for a used Unisaw - I see them for sale often and a lot of them look very clean. For ripping narrow boards, you'll want a good table saw eventually.

If you're looking at the Kreg system you need to look at Festool as well. But be aware this is a different animal. Cuts on these tables are limited when it comes to length. You may want to skip the table altogether and look at a track saw with a long track. I've gotten by with a table saw and a track saw for long time. Festool and Makita are the favorite track saws on this forum.

I too have upgraded to better tools over years and favor quality over price. I've never regretted it. It's kind of like the bag full of Klein hand tools you have for electrical. I'm sure you wouldn't trade those for anything...

Cheers,
    Mark

In that price range, I think I would get a used cabinet saw off of Craigslist or here, tune it up so everything is working properly and get to building. A good cabinet saw can last you a lifetime. Now maybe you will want to upgrade down the line to a slider, sawstop etc but that’s future you’s problem.

If a good deal doesn’t materialize, then I would reassess. But no need to buy problems that don’t exist yet.

The table saw is the heart and soul of a wood shop. The second most used tool is the sliding miter saw. These two tools need to be as good as your budget can bear.

Quote Originally Posted by Thomas McCurnin View Post
    .. The second most used tool is the sliding miter saw. ..
    Whaaat? I own a good sliding compound miter saw -- a Hitachi. It lives in the storage unit with my other housebuilding tools. It doesn't earn the space to live in my furniture shop.

I agree with Jamie. My sliding compound is used for cutting scraps to fireplace length
    Steve Jenkins, McKinney, TX. 469 742-9694
    Always use the word "impossible" with extreme caution

I use a crosscut sled a lot, but not a miter saw. But one of the cool things about this hobby is there are a lot of ways to accomplish the same task

I started with a cheap, HD table saw, sold it for a loss and moved up to a better HD saw, then sold it for a loss, etc. After losing $ on 4 contractor saws, I finally bought a 3hp, 52" table saw. I still haven't truly learned to bite the bullet and buy once. Get what you want and you'll be happy with it for a long time...till you're not.

I don't care to use, lift, store, or calibrate a cross cut sled. I have one stored in my rafters and I haven't used it in 10 years. Too heavy for me.

My Hitachi on the other hand was upgraded in the last 5 years and is deadly accurate. Just to offend others, it shares a table with a Radial Arm Saw. Yeah, I know, a 60 year old RAS. I know, they are out-dated. I love mine because it is 240v, an ancient Rockwell, 16 inch blade, fairly accurate, takes dado blades and cuts scrap down for the fireplace. I used both for 35 years. The Hitachi and Table Saw get daily use.

Steve, I started out with a shop made “table saw” - a circular saw clamped inverted in MDF, with a straight edge for a fence. Needless to say that the contractor saw I purchased was a huge upgrade! This table saw had one of the fences that clamped at railed both back and front. It was a pain after the novelty wore off. A Biesemeyer replacement fence was a revelation. Eventually the motor was replaced as well - 2 hp was just too low for our local hardwoods. Dust control was always a problem with the open back. I would have liked a splitter too.

The contractor saw was finally replaced two years ago after 20 years in my shop. I should have done it a long, long time ago, rather than persevering with upgrades.Were I you, I would be looking for a good, used and enclosed cabinet saw, which would permit decent dust control. The motor can always be upgraded, as can a fence, but they are extra expenses, and better to start out with something decent. I discovered that one can upgrade peripherals but the main saw cannot be, so a strong and well-manufactured chassis would be my target. Good hunting.

Regards from Perth

Derek

Quote Originally Posted by Jacob Mac View Post
    In that price range, I think I would get a used cabinet saw off of Craigslist or here, tune it up so everything is working properly and get to building. A good cabinet saw can last you a lifetime. Now maybe you will want to upgrade down the line to a slider, sawstop etc but that’s future you’s problem.
    +1 This is my advice as well. A used cabinet style Delta, Powermatic, or Grizzly can all serve you well and recoup the $ if you upgrade later.

Additional fixtures you may end up with on the tablesaw include a home build cross cut sled. An incra miter. A tenoning jig.

I did not see a planer on your list.

From there I would consider router and router tooling. Or maybe a Kreg pocket hole set. Or hand tools (a quality block and bench plane, a dovetail saw, some chisels). Depends on what project you want to take on.