Thread: Shaper Tool Mfr Recommendations

Shaper Tool Mfr Recommendations

I hope requesting this information doesn't violate any of the forum rules, if so, Admins please delete the post.

My new Shaper arrives within the next 2 weeks, I've been putting off delivery for 4 months now while I finish up a big project and clear space in my garage.

It has a 1.25" spindle. nThe Shaper will be used for light hobby use. I also have a Comatic DC40 power feeder.

Anyway, I've started getting a few Shaper cutter heads and knives. I've bought all of these, so far, from Whitehill in the UK. No issues with delivery timing or Customs taxes.

I'm looking to add an adjustable groover. I have no problem buying from the UK again, but I'd also like to know what my options are for buying state side.

My next question, what is the most common range I should be targeting. Whilehill has a 4mm-15mmn, about $400 shipped, which I think would be the best bang to the buck. I figured if I need more than 15mm, I can always make a second pass.

Any help would be appreciated, thanks.

Blog Entries
    The best advice I've been given on shaper tooling is to buy only when you need it. Buying in anticipation of need just winds up buying a lot of stuff that you never will use.

Rangate is an incredible source of tooling, but it is pricey.

Mike

If you have a carbide rebate head, some guide rings, a 40mm Euroblock and an adjustable groover you're ready to tackle many common shaper applications.

I find that the 4mm to 19mm range for the groover is common, it covers most sheet goods sizes.

I have a 1.25" and 30mm spindle so I can share tooling between the saw and shaper.

Most of the tooling in the world is metric.

Once you have the above covered, you'll probably run for some time before needing other pieces of tooling.........Rod.

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisA Edwards View Post
    I hope requesting this information doesn't violate any of the forum rules, if so, Admins please delete the post.

My new Shaper arrives within the next 2 weeks, I've been putting off delivery for 4 months now while I finish up a big project and clear space in my garage.

It has a 1.25" spindle. nThe Shaper will be used for light hobby use. I also have a Comatic DC40 power feeder.

Anyway, I've started getting a few Shaper cutter heads and knives. I've bought all of these, so far, from Whitehill in the UK. No issues with delivery timing or Customs taxes.

I'm looking to add an adjustable groover. I have no problem buying from the UK again, but I'd also like to know what my options are for buying state side.

My next question, what is the most common range I should be targeting. Whilehill has a 4mm-15mmn, about $400 shipped, which I think would be the best bang to the buck. I figured if I need more than 15mm, I can always make a second pass.

Any help would be appreciated, thanks.
    While I agree with Mike about buying tooling, in this case, since I use mine so often, I'd say it's probably a safe purchase. I have three adjustable groovers and the 4 to 15mm size range is the one I use the most.
    https://shorturl.at/mRTU3

Rangate and W Moore Profiles could be worth checking out.

Erik
    Ex-SCM and Felder rep

Blog Entries
    Ive been happy with all the amana tooling I've purchased. Though the price for their 4-15mm groover is about the same as whitehill

Make sure you get the one that matches your spindle diameter because bushing adjustable groovers is generally not recommended.

B
    https://shorturl.at/mRTU3

Thanks, Hammer references 30mm in a lot of their documentation, but it's supposed to be 1.25" on my actual machine.

I'm not going to order an adjustable groover until I have the machine.

I have recently purchased cutters from "Tools Today".They sell Amana cutters, good prices and next day delivery which I found real surprising consider I live in Canada and they ship from Long Island, NY. The advice to buy when you need them is good advice, DAMHIKT.
    Brian

Blog Entries
    Thanks, Hammer references 30mm in a lot of their documentation, but it's supposed to be 1.25" on my actual machine.

I'm not going to order an adjustable groover until I have the machine.
    Did you specifically order an 1.25" spindle? Standard is 30mm, which has the advantage of using 30mm shaper tooling and 1.25" tooling with a top-hat bushing.

As stated on my invoice
    503-07063 Interchangeable moulder spindle D=1 1/4", speed 3,000/6,000,8,000,10,000 rpm, max. clamping height 100mm

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Ross View Post
    I have recently purchased cutters from "Tools Today".They sell Amana cutters, good prices and next day delivery which I found real surprising consider I live in Canada and they ship from Long Island, NY. The advice to buy when you need them is good advice, DAMHIKT.
    Brian
    I have had good experience with Tools Today.

The 4-14 groover range is the one I use the most (cutting grooves for panels). I have this one: https://www.toolstoday.com/3-part-in...rer-4-155.html

Blog Entries
    As stated on my invoice
    Well then, you are pretty safe to go ahead and order.

Mike

In NA the 1.25” spindle is standard.

I also have the 30mm spindle so I can share tooling with the saw, use the sanding drums and use metric tooling. It’s a money saver.....Regards, Rod.