Thread: Unisaw and Mobile Base Extension No Work

Unisaw and Mobile Base Extension No Work

OK, finally got funds and time, and thought i was good to go. I scored the delta 50-273 for the used Unisaw i got a couple of months back and then said i need the 50-284 extension as i have a 52" Unifence. However.....

My set up has the saw (20"), a left hand wing (10") and a 24" table with 2 legs that attaches to the right hand side. The extension is way too long and there doesn't seem to be an obvious shorter extension to go with my set up. But, maybe I'm missing something, you guys know way more than me.

Also, I started thinking, do I really need a base extension for the 24" table? I must roll the saw out of the way when not in use in my garage. I guess i could forget the table and get another wing, but wings aren't cheap and I have the table extension already, thinking i would like that setup.

I can put castors on the base legs, but that won't help when i engage the base, seems like using the mobile base will want to flex the connection of the table to the saw. Maybe it is not a big deal, but maybe it is.

I don't have the capability, but i guess the extension could be modified to work, a few cuts, a couple of welds.....

Thoughts appreciated.

Mike

You wouldn’t have a picture would you? I’m having trouble following you. Having to regularly park that large a saw would have me thinking about whether I really need that 52” fence OR, why am I putting cars in my shop. I move my 52” SS from the end of the extension table. Otherwise those legs tend to drag.

I agree. We need pictures to better understand your problem. My mid 80's Unisaw has the 52" Unifence and Delta extension table, so I can also take and send pictures, if needed. Let's see your problem first.

Charley

I had a Unisaw with the 52 inch extension table and mobile base. I do not believe it is suitable for use with less than the full table ( without modification ) as it would be a trip hazard. I built an aux shelf below the table, but the additional weight of the items that I stored there, eventually caused the retractable caster mechanism to barely provide enough lift to move the saw and table. I would think that having a mobile base that does support the 24" table would be better than no support simply by eliminating the need to re-level the table when the saw is moved, but this base would not be the one IMHO.

Unisaw on base.jpg

Edit: The OP mentions a 52" UNIFENCE it may have been referring to the Delta 136-50 rip fence rather than 52" extension table ?
    Last edited by Dick Mahany; 07-31-2019 at 7:37 PM.
    Dick Mahany.

Dick has it right. the base i have is as shown in Dick's photo. I misunderstood, i do not have a 52" extension table, I only have a 24" table, so will need to find a base that works with this or gin one up. I agree that using a 24" table on the base i have (shown above) is a trip hazard. I'll try and get a photo in a bit, but this sums it up.

Mike

My Uni has an 8” wing and a 36” table which fits the mobile base perfectly. If you have the space why not fab up a new table rather than remaking/modifying the base?
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

Bruce, I did not think of that! I'm a newb here and was lucky to score this saw.

If i fab up a longer table, my rail for the fence won't be long enough, but maybe that is not an issue?

The 50-284 extension would be for a 52” Unifence. The 50-285 extension would be for a 30” Unifence.

Maybe you can modify the base that you have to fit. Do you know a good welder or can you do it yourself?

When I got my Unisaw with 52" Unifence, HTC was having a clearance sale on quite a few bases that were odd sizes and weren't selling. I looked at their list and bought one that I knew wouldn't fit, but it was the right design. But it cost me about as much as it would have if I had just bought all of the wheels and hardware, but I got the more difficult to fabricate wheel areas already made.When it came I cut the 1 X 2" square pipe and added pieces of the same pipe to make the base the size that I needed. A little grinding to smooth the welds and then some gray hammertone paint from Lowes and my base now fits my saw. The paint that I bought even turned out to be an exact color match to the HTC color. I like the design of the HTC bases, so after a little cutting, welding, and painting I have an HTC base that perfectly fits my saw, and it isn't at all obvious that I modified it. You can't even see where it was welded together to extend it.

Charley

Sorry for the delay on this, came down with a summer cold, ugh. Did not know about the delta 50-285, it might just work. the other option is a piece of Melamine cut to size, attached to existing table and move legs to the end, should work. The Melamine is the cheaper solution. Thanks again for the great thoughts. Mike