Thread: Harlequin table: final pictures

Harlequin table: final pictures

We are done building the side table. Here are pictures (taken with my iPhone6).

The case is Hard Maple from the USA. The drawer fronts are Black Walnut, figured Hard Maple, and pink Jarrah (hence the name, Harlequin). The drawer sides are quartersawn Tasmanian Oak, and the drawer bottoms/slips were made from Tasmanian Blue Gum.

Finish was, initially, two coats of dewaxed UBeaut Hard White Shellac (the very faint amber adds a little warmth), followed by three coats of General Finishes water-based poly (this remains clear - does not yellow the maple - and appears to have some UV protection. It is hard wearing, which is necessary for a side table).

The build features mitred, rounded dovetails and bow front and back. Eight drawers featuring compound dovetailing to match the bow front. Drawers are traditional half-blind dovetails at the front and through dovetails at the rear, with drawer bottoms into slips.

About 2 months to build, mainly on weekends.

Here is the rear of the table (which will be seen through the windows, which run floor-to-ceiling along the family room ...

The pulls were shaped from what-I-believe-to-be-some-type-of Ebony ...

The obligatory dovetails ...

Do you think that anyone will notice that the drawer bottoms run sequentially?

And this one is for Bill, who was concerned that the chamfers at the end of the drawers (to ease entry into the case) might impair their extension ...

A last look ...

Thursday morning I haul the table to the Perth Wood Show for the annual furniture competition. Wish me luck.

Regards from Perth

Derek

Unique and beautiful from every angle!
    I've enjoyed following the build.
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

Blog Entries
    Good luck, another beautiful piece of work.

Maybe hang a couple ribbons across the top with little bells at the end for the true harlequin effect.

- ducking for cover,

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Derek,

As alway looks great. Good on you.

ken

W
    o
    w
    !!!

Very nice!

Outstanding Derek. The formerly much discussed leg-to-case joinery looks perfect to me and the curved drawers as per your usual execution also present an elegant, understated design element. Good luck in Perth, but if you do not prevail, take heart in the fact that the judges were most likely paid off anyway. Have to be.
    David

Well done. Very clownish indeed.
    Jim

Beautiful work Derek! Will you be sending pics of this one to FWW?
    Fred
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

“If you want to know what a man's like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals.”

Fred, I have never sent a picture of any of my pieces to FWW. They have features several of my tools in the past, on their request. Perhaps I may send a piece or two.

David, of course the judges are paid off - that can be the only reason I never win!

Regards from Perth

Derek

Exceptional work as always. I was at an art fair last month and an exhibiting woodworker had a table with similar legs, although not splayed much if at all. His were bolted to the carcase from the interior allowing for disassembly. I commented on them and showed him one of your in-process photos. He called them "Roman Legs". Have you ever heard that term?
    Sharp solves all manner of problems.

Thanks for that, Rob. Roman Legs? I've not heard that term.

Regards from Perth

Derek

Great work Derek - you walk the walk.....

Cheers -

Rob

Blog Entries
    The English Empire is heard from.
    Australia and Canada. Oh well, the Colonies are still strong.