Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Planes - Smooth vs Corrugated

I have, and use some of both. I have multiples of some plane sizes, and those are mix and match sole type too. There is no way I could tell you which is which by sole type, without looking, but I do remember the different cambers when I open one of the plane boxes. Sole types never entered into the priority list when I was looking for ones to buy.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Koepke View Post
    Though in reality filling a want or a need can go a long way in brightening one's day in the shop.

As to need, the question is how large is the stock you normally work?

If you do work stock longer than a couple of feet, then a #7 or #8 might be a useful plane in your fleet.

If like me you 'just have to have the whole set' then having the choice of which long plane to use today brings a smile to my face when entering the shop.

jtk
    Great observation - I think it is a want but I do intend using on the tops of some new shop benches I intend to build.

Thanks to all. I got some good info here. I'm probably filling a want as much as need but I'll focus on condition and price instead of style. Thanks again.

I've got several corrugated planes, some i've had for 30+ years, and there is little performance differences between them and a smooth bottom with a couple minor exceptions.
    For initial flattening of rough saw boards I generally reach for my Type 13 6C with a slightly cambered blade. If i'm rapidly working a board the corrugations will occasionally grab a high spot and drive the plane in a different direction.
    Wax seems to last a little on the longer sole than oil.

2- 6C
    2- 5 1/2 C
    3- 5C
    1- 4C
    1- Sargent VBM 718C (#6 sized)

20190802_111019_DxO.jpg
    The significant problems we encounter cannot be solved at the same level of thinking we were at when we created them.

The penalty for inaccuracy is more work