Thread: Old beginner and tenons on cabinet door

Old beginner and tenons on cabinet door

Years ago, I was given a load of used (shaped, finished etc) Oak in no particular grain configuration . I put it up over the rafters of my garage while I tried to make a living.
    Semi inspired, 3 years ago I took a bunch of like-thickend pieces down (none wider than 2 1/2" including bullnoses), and began to edge-joint and glue them into panels. Project stopped in the winter, but I'm determined to finish this summer.
    I dadoed the fixed shelves and base into the sides, etc., added my fixed stiles and pegged them; Today I added the 1/4" panel for the back.
    I've done small stuff and repairs, but I've never had to make a door for a cabinet this size.
    The door will be 38 3/4" tall with 3"x3/4" rails and 2 3/4" stiles.
    This door will be heavy - I expect to use heavy Brass hinges for the door. I haven't decided if I'll machine more Oak for the insert or buy a nice piece of Plywood.
    My concern is with the placement of the tenons.
    I can size the thickness of the tenons, but my sense is to use a long tenon like 1 1/2" deep, AND peg it, with a tenon height of 1 1/4".
    For a previous repair project I bought a dedicated mortiser, so that's not an issue.
    To those of you who actually know what you're doing (not like me), are my tenons oversized or just adequate?
    Young enough to remember doing it;
    Old enough to wish I could do it again.

Hi Aaron, if you use a plywood panel (my choice) you can use 3/8" deep stub tenons the same thickness as the panel and glue the panel in.

Even if you don't glue the panel short tenons will be fine for a light door like that.

If you want you could always make 1 1/2" deep M&T joints....................Regards, Rod.

Typically, tenons are 1/3 the thickness of your stock, so if you are using 3/4" stock for the doors then they would be 1/4" thick. I use 3/8" tenons a lot now with 3/4" stock because I cut the mortises with a router so I don't have to worry about blowout like you do when cutting them by hand. Anyway, tenon length is typically 3X it's thickness, so if the tenons are 1/4" thick you would make the mortise 3/4" deep, minimum. There's no harm in going deeper, but not much benefit either for cabinet doors.

If your rails are 3-3/4" wide I would make the tenons about 2-3/4" wide. That leaves you room for 1/2" deep panel groves and also 1/2" at the end of the stile. If you use plywood for the panels I would do as Rod suggested and glue them into frames with simple stub tenons.

John

Thank you Rod & John. Plywood is certainly easier and faster, and after this length of time, I just want to get finished!
    Tenon depth will be 1 1/2". The joy of having a dedicated mortise machine!
    Young enough to remember doing it;
    Old enough to wish I could do it again.

Quote Originally Posted by Aaron Rosenthal View Post
    The joy of having a dedicated mortise machine!
    I too have a mortiser, but after looking at Phil Thien's mortising jig for the router, I may get rid of my mortiser.