Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Hammer edge sander HS 950

Terry, I’ve been hunting for one of those for a while now! Nice find.

Quote Originally Posted by Terry Therneau View Post
    I bought an Ekstrom Carlson with 80" belt (the smaller one) a little over a year ago (solid old cast iron). There is an old adage that an edge sander is one of last tools you buy, and one of the last you let go of at the end. I can testify that it's true. The thing is hugely useful.
    Terry T.
    Hi Terry,
    Can you describe what you use yours to do? I had the mistaken impression that edge sanders were really useful, but for a very small number of things. (Right tool for the job, but only a limited number of jobs.)

Thank you!
    Fred
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

“If you want to know what a man's like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals.”

Randomly ran across this video on Youtube of the HS950 in action. Had not see it before. I would highly suggest playing it on mute unless you enjoy overly dramatic backround tracks.

Erik

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jOwR1D2uWNc
    Ex-SCM and Felder rep

FWIW, the canadian Hammer site shows a list price of $2573can

Anyone familiar with the Vega oscillating edge sander. Similar cost and has more oscillation range plus curved platen accessories.

I just got this setup video of the HS950. Good look at the overall build quality, size, etc. You can also see the open end and little table, which somewhat gives you a spindle-sanding "cheater" function.

Erik

Ex-SCM and Felder rep

Blog Entries
    Pretty amazing how it drops into perfect alignment with the bolt holes on the stand.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike King View Post
    Pretty amazing how it drops into perfect alignment with the bolt holes on the stand.
    You noticed that, too?...

Erik
    Ex-SCM and Felder rep

Actually it does believe it or not, however it does not if you try to assemble the base in the other direction...don’t ask how I know...🤪

Quote Originally Posted by Mike King View Post

I’ve watched the videos and saw one at the Tampa woodworking show in January. Still trying to figure out two things: 1) what would I use it for and 2) where would I put it in my shop. Have not been able to answer either question, but I did enter the drawing to win one ��
    Last edited by Pat Rice; 05-08-2020 at 6:23 AM.

Pat, edge sanders are kind of new to me as well but I can tell you that it was been one of our steadiest sellers. The whole Etsy-type makerspace: Cutting boards, softwood signs, other arts/crafts-type projects seem like the ideal customer. I just delivered a Felder FS900KF (industrial version of the HS950) to a local customer. They use it to sand the edges of their faceframe doors. So, solid wood cabinetry makers as well.

Erik
    Ex-SCM and Felder rep

I ordered one is sept. Maybe oct last year. So long ago I don’t exactly remember. Anyway it arrived last week. Perfect condition. Extremely well packed. Easy to assemble. Base is much thicker steel than I expected. Holes have tight tolerance but line up easy. Unit comes in 2 main pieces. Base you bolt together. Complete sander unit is fully assembled and sets on the base. I used a hoist to do this. My son and I tested the weight by hand and it seamed way too heavy to lift with care by 2 people. I played with it over the weekend and am really pleased with initial impressions. Table height adjustment is supper easy compared to the jet videos. The belt and guard install easy. Dust collection is pretty good. Catching almost all of it but leaving some on the stock stop near the chute. Running it without dust collection would be a mess. This is the only edge sander I have used so I don’t have any comparison. This unit has very good fit and finish, good table size and mass for stability. I really like it so far. Maybe a bit over the top for the 4 squirrel feeders I used it for so far. Need to start a garden bench for a real test
    thanks
    gary

Rod just for fun go to Grizzly's site and set the shipping country to the US. Once you have that price then switch to Canada as the shipping country,it is nuts lots of machines suddenly go up 40% above and beyond the current exchange rate. I have purchased from them in the past and would again,but will pay in US dollars and ship to Montana or it is not worth it. Not sure why they inflate prices so much for Canadians.

Looks like a nice machine!

-----
    Mike, is Grizzly actually shipping to Canada now? They didn't used to do that, AFAIK.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

15. I received my HS 950 a few weeks ago and finished setting it up 2 days ago. I have not run it yet waiting on checking all of the attachments are set and adjusted. It weighs 560 lbs. according to the shipping papers. Very nice quality build. High power motor. I used a jib crane hoist with multiple straps to lift it and assemble the base to the top. I put in on a Grizzly Heavy Duty mobile base with extended length bars I machined on a milling machine. I cut a thick plywood shelf to insert inside the base to hold 4 solid concrete blocks to lower the center of gravity and make it solid and stable. I had to wait about 8 or more months since my order, but the Felder office offered free shipping and other perks so I am very pleased with the transaction.