Thread: Weird Trotec error, can cut but not engrave.

Weird Trotec error, can cut but not engrave.

I stumped the Trotec technician, I might have to pay someone to come down and look at the hardware. It's a Speedy 100 and this weird problem just started where anytime I engrave anything it kicks into error mode and I have to restart it, error code 125. I can cut just fine though.

We upgraded to jc 11
    Updated firm ware 11
    Decelerated x axis
    Tried different DPI settings
    Tried printing from different software and demo files
    Tired different engraving speeds

Nothing helped. Has anyone heard of an issue like this?

Not sure if the same errors on the 300 but on the 300 that's listed as a hardware error. A very odd hardware error dealing with bitmaps. Is it under warranty?
    Lasers : Trotec Speedy 300 75W, Trotec Speedy 300 80W, Galvo Fiber Laser 20W
    Printers : Mimaki UJF-6042 UV Flatbed Printer , HP Designjet L26500 61" Wide Format Latex Printer, Summa S140-T 48" Vinyl Plotter
    Router : ShopBot 48" x 96" CNC Router Rotary Engravers : (2) Xenetech XOT 16 x 25 Rotary Engravers

Real name Steve but that name was taken on the forum. Used Middle name. Call me Steve or Scott, doesn't matter.

Does that thing have steppers or servos? I'm thinking steppers, if so, keep reading -- if servos, well...

If steppers, with power off, how hard- or easy- is the X axis to push back & forth vs the Y axis? Have you ever moved them before, and if so do they feel different now? I've been dealing with weird stepper issues with my Gravo LS900, the last weird thing was after I took the stepper apart and learned the hard way that if you stick the armature to some steel (the side of a laser cabinet for example ), the armature will de-magnetize to the point the stepper becomes nearly useless. Once re-assembled, the armature was about half as hard to rotate as before, and when re-installed, the laser head moved on the X axis almost as if no motor was connected. The end result was, the stepper would cut just fine, and would raster SLOWLY just fine. Problem is, when the machine starts, the head moves full-speed toward the starting point, and if that was more than 3", the steeper would just squeal and skip...

Another problem was the replacement steppers Gravo supplied would literally burn up from the inside within 2 hours of being powered up. When this happens, the stepper, for some reason, becomes like 4x as hard to rotate, and the steps you feel when rotating are roughly, if not exactly, halved, like 100 stiff steps rather than 200 normal steps...

THAT all said-- when the steppers would burn up, my machine threw a 'motor overtemp' error, and wouldn't even boot up until I unplugged the stepper. It would then work just fine, other than obviously no X movement. Slewing sideways would change the coordinates on the display too, but the machine didn't care that the stepper was unplugged. Replugging the bad motor in would set the error again...

SO-- I don't know how Trotec detects and/or stores it's errors, BUT, seems entirely possible that IF one of your steppers has gone weak for whatever reason, it could your controller picked it up and stored it as an error. And if so, it could be the controller will let it run in vector mode, since the fastest vector movement is likely reasonably slow in comparison to running full-out rastering... - I don't know, just conjecture...

and THAT all said, just a thought here, try unplugging the X stepper and booting up, see what happens. If it boots okay, try running a job with it unplugged and see what happens. If the error code doesn't repeat, and/or the machine goes thru the motions, then this points to the stepper as the 'hardware' error.
    ========================================
    ELEVEN - rotary cutter tool machines
    FOUR - CO2 lasers
    THREE- make that FOUR now - fiber lasers
    ONE - vinyl cutter
    CASmate, Corel, Gravostyle

Normally servos, Kev. Not positive on the 100, but on most everything else it's servos.
    Lasers : Trotec Speedy 300 75W, Trotec Speedy 300 80W, Galvo Fiber Laser 20W
    Printers : Mimaki UJF-6042 UV Flatbed Printer , HP Designjet L26500 61" Wide Format Latex Printer, Summa S140-T 48" Vinyl Plotter
    Router : ShopBot 48" x 96" CNC Router Rotary Engravers : (2) Xenetech XOT 16 x 25 Rotary Engravers

Real name Steve but that name was taken on the forum. Used Middle name. Call me Steve or Scott, doesn't matter.

They just sold me a $1,100 new x motor. Yikes.

I still don't get how it can have a bad motor and cut but not engrave. I ran a "engraving test" last night using cut lines, I put 400 lines .01" apart and cut maximum speed, slightly out of focus. It looks just like anything I've engraved on 333 DPI, possibly better.